Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by TK <tk...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/29 17:55:00 UTC

Beginner for Apache & Tomcat: Need Help

Hi there,
I'm a new Apache & Tomcat user. I have the following questions and
hope you can help me out. Thank you.

1. Can I install and run Apache and Tomcat on the same machine? Or, at
the first place, do I need to do so if Tomcat alone can be used as a
Web server?

2. If I install both of them on the same machine, how do I
differentiate the host names? Does http://127.0.0.1/ refers to the
Apache or Tomcat server?

3. How could I create a virtual link to point from the root directory
to another directory located at the other machine or the other disk
drive?

4. Are there any guides on setting and configuring Apache and Tomcat
in Linux environment?

5. Can I use J2EE SDK 1.4 to develop and test JSP applications? If
not, what are the tools that can be used?

6. Can I used JSP to access MS Access database? If not, what is the
recommended DBMS to be used, both in Windows and Linux environments?

That's all for this time. Thanks again.

Regards,
TK

Re: Beginner for Apache & Tomcat: Need Help

Posted by Nicolas Mailhot <Ni...@laPoste.net>.
Le mercredi 29 septembre 2004 à 14:28 -0400, Ben Souther a écrit :
> For what it's worth.
> If you install Fedora Core II with "All" packages checked in the
> installer (I imagine it would work with "all Development Tools" too),
> it will install Apache and Tomcat 4.1x.
>
> The two will already be configured to work together.
>
> I haven't looked that closely at the configuration so I don't know what
> JDK it's using or any of the other particulars but it could be an easy
> shortcut to getting started.

Unfortunately the FC2 setup is gcj-based and not real useful in
production. FC3 (post-FC3 actually) should be closer to the current
JPackage with gcj compat added.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Re: Beginner for Apache & Tomcat: Need Help

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.
For what it's worth.

Posted by Nicolas Mailhot <Ni...@laPoste.net>.

Posted by Francois Dion <fr...@gmail.com>.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html

> 1. Can I install and run Apache and Tomcat on the same machine? Or, at
> the first place, do I need to do so if Tomcat alone can be used as a
> Web server?

Yes. You dont have to, but that gets more complicated. You dont have
to use apache to run tomcat. If you do, you'll have to configure
apache to use a connector to tomcat. There are many ways to do that
depending on what you want to do, what version of the software you are
running, what OS etc.

> 2. If I install both of them on the same machine, how do I
> differentiate the host names? Does http://127.0.0.1/ refers to the
> Apache or Tomcat server?
Apache.
Tomcat is at 8080 by default.

> 3. How could I create a virtual link to point from the root directory
> to another directory located at the other machine or the other disk
> drive?
Dont do that. modify the root path in the config file.

> 4. Are there any guides on setting and configuring Apache and Tomcat
> in Linux environment?
Pretty much all your questions are in the Tomcat FAQ. Check out:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/

Specifically: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/unix.html

> 5. Can I use J2EE SDK 1.4 to develop and test JSP applications? If
> not, what are the tools that can be used?
Yes. You can also use one of the hundreds of tools to do that. One of
them is eclipse.

> 6. Can I used JSP to access MS Access database? If not, what is the
> recommended DBMS to be used, both in Windows and Linux environments?
Use Oracle, or if you want something free, use Postgresql.

Posted by "Anthony E. Carlos" <an...@digitalphenom.com>.
Welcome! Please start by reading some of the online documentation:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/index.html

I'd recommend starting with installing tomcat first without apache. You
may not even need apache. Once you've gotten that down, you can connect
tomcat to apache so that apache serves static pages (if you still need
it). I'd recommend O'Reilly's book on Tomcat for details about creating
a connector.

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

TK wrote:
> 1. Can I install and run Apache and Tomcat on the same machine? Or, at
> the first place, do I need to do so if Tomcat alone can be used as a
> Web server?

Yes, you can and no, you don't have to if your setup does not require
it. Often sites use apache for serving static content (due to it's
superior performance and security concerns) and let it pass requests to
jsps to a tomcat.

> 2. If I install both of them on the same machine, how do I
> differentiate the host names? Does http://127.0.0.1/ refers to the
> Apache or Tomcat server?

You might want to familiarize yourself with tcp/ip networking basics.
For short, each application running on a host that wants to talk ip
allocates a port on that host. You access different ports by appending
the port number to the hostname separated by a colon:

http://localhost:8080/

In a common setup with apache and tomcat, apache binds port 80 (the
standard HTTP port) and passes along jsp requests to tomcat by talking
to it on another port, on which tomcat listens.

> 3. How could I create a virtual link to point from the root directory
> to another directory located at the other machine or the other disk
> drive?

I am not entirely sure I understand what you mean. In general, all
requests go to the apache first and it decides which of them to server
from where. If the requests call servlets or jsps, apache just forwards
the request to tomcat to serve as it sees fit.

> 6. Can I used JSP to access MS Access database? If not, what is the
> recommended DBMS to be used, both in Windows and Linux environments?

Since jsps and servlets are (basically) java programs, they can access
any database for which a jdbc driver exists. If there is one for access
(which is not a DBMS system really...) I do not know. I would not
however recommend using access in a live environment. Use a real RDBMS
like MySQL, postgresql (if you want OSS) or MS SQL Server, Oracle and
the like (if you want commercially supported software).

HTH

		Phil