Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Sa Li <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/28 00:58:46 UTC

maximum number of open file handles

Hi, all

I read the comments from
http://www.michael-noll.com/tutorials/running-multi-node-storm-cluster/,
Michael mentioned to increase the maximum number of open file handles for
the user kafka to 98,304 (change kafka to whatever user you are running the
Kafka daemons with – this can be your own user account, of course) you must
add the following line to /etc/security/limits.conf:

kafka  - nofile 98304

I am installing the latest version of kafka, do I need to do the same thing
above?

thanks
--

Alec Li

Re: maximum number of open file handles

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
This is not an absolute rule/number.  It depends on your Kafka usage and
your existing limits.  SPM <http://sematext.com/spm/> will show you the
number of open files Kafka is using, as will a tool like 'lsof'.

Otis