Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by da...@interfold.com on 2009/08/20 18:42:14 UTC

Xerces-C 3.0.2?

The company I work for is getting ready to upgrade from Xerces-C 2.7.0 to
Xerces-C 3.x.x.  I have a couple of questions.

1) I see that 3.0.1 is available and that 3.0.2 is under development.
There are limits on when we can upgrade (that is why we are still on
2.7.0).  If we upgrade to 3.0.1 it may be months (or years) before we get
another chance to upgrade.  Should I upgrade to 3.0.1?  Will 3.0.2 be
available in the next couple of weeks?  Any ideas on when 3.1.0 will be
available?  (I realize that it is difficult to predict when the releases
might be available, I'm just looking for some ballpark dates.)

2) Is the migration path from Xerces-C 2.7.0 to Xerces-C 3.0.x difficult?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

david.

RE: Xerces-C 3.0.2?

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
davidhinz@interfold.com wrote on 2009-08-20:
> 2) Is the migration path from Xerces-C 2.7.0 to Xerces-C 3.0.x difficult?

If you don't need to stay compatible with 2.x, it's not that painful (but
can be a bit of work). If you do, it's a fair amount of autoconf and ifdef
work, and in some cases requires defining new typedefs to serve as stand-ins
for the API types that have changed size between the two.

-- Scott

Re: Development plans for XML Schema 1.1

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@we7.com>.

I think it would be a great idea. Not got much time to help out at the moment but can certainly chip in with testing and review etc.

Gareth

--
Gareth Reakes, CTO         we7 - Great Free Music
+44-20-7117-0809                   http://www.we7.com

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Re: Development plans for XML Schema 1.1

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@apache.org>.
Hi Boris,

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Boris Kolpackov wrote:

> Hi Khaled,
>
> Khaled Noaman <kn...@ca.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> Xerces-J 2.10 was just release and it included experimental support for
>> XML Schema 1.1. Are there any future plans to implement XML Schema 1.1 in
>> Xerces-C?
>
> I chatted with Alberto about this the other day. It seems before we
> make any major changes to the XML Schema processor in Xerces-C++, it
> would be wise to decouple the validators from XML scanners and make
> them just another "stage" in the pipeline. The current architecture
> is very hard to maintain and has a number of serious shortcomings
> (e.g., the fact that certain validation errors are detected only
> after the SAX events have been fired).
>
> Also, the XML Schema 1.1 spec is not yet a recommendation. I am not
> very familiar with the W3 process, but isn't it still a moving target?

It is a moving target but requires implementations (I think the rule of
thumb is usually at least two) before the spec can become a W3C
Recommendation.

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Khaled,

Re: Xerces-C 3.0.2?

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi,

Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com> writes:

> We are considering starting the process to release 3.1.0; if everything
> works, it could be out by the end of the year.

And there are currently no plans to release 3.0.2. So if you are looking
for a well-tested and stable release, 3.0.1 is your best option.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools   http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog
Open source XML data binding for C++:   http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd

Re: Xerces-C 3.0.2?

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
We are considering starting the process to release 3.1.0; if everything
works, it could be out by the end of the year.

Alberto