Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com> on 1999/10/14 20:49:06 UTC

Different APR Directories

After the discussions last week about this topic and the best way of
accomplishing it, I thought I'd raise this with everyone.

Basically the solution should

    - allow for any directory to include common files from another directory
    - keep the number of files in the "different" directory to a minimum
    - keep the ability to use "make depend"

Brian's original suggestion would have created more files than I'd have
liked, and my original idea would have stopped make depend from working.
The solution?  Modify Brian's idea by having a single file that contains
#include's for all the files from the common directory.

For example,

O/S newos needs a different poll implementation, so it creates the
network_io/newos directory.  In that directory it creates a poll.c,
default.c and Makefile.in.  It adds the necessary to configure.in and when
configure is run the system looks for and finds the Makefile.in and so uses
the newos directory (this we have already).

This strikes me as being a nice easy balance between ease of use and
flexibility without sacrificing anything we already have.

Thoughts?

david

Re: Different APR Directories

Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
Hmmm, have to think about that...

david
Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
Brian,

I've just noticed that what you've done in the time/os2 directory.  If you
simply remove the Makefile.in then the os2 directory should be ignored and
the unix files will simply be built.  The change to allow this happened
about 10 days ago and works well for beos in both the time and file_io
directories.

david
> On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:38:10 +0100, David Reid wrote:
>
> >OK, well then that sounds like an agreement and this is the method we'll
> >use.
>
> I've just thought of a downside of this approach. It makes the #included
> modules indivisible at link time because all their code is in the
default.o.
> EG if I take this approach in the misc directory the getopt code will be
> linked in whether it's used or not.

__

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.

Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
OK, well then that sounds like an agreement and this is the method we'll
use.

> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:49:06 +0100, David Reid wrote:
>
> >After the discussions last week about this topic and the best way of
> >accomplishing it, I thought I'd raise this with everyone.
> >
> >Basically the solution should
> >
> >    - allow for any directory to include common files from another
directory
> >    - keep the number of files in the "different" directory to a minimum
> >    - keep the ability to use "make depend"
> >
> >Brian's original suggestion would have created more files than I'd have
> >liked, and my original idea would have stopped make depend from working.
> >The solution?  Modify Brian's idea by having a single file that contains
> >#include's for all the files from the common directory.
>
> [..]
>
> >Thoughts?
>
> Yeah, that sounds workable.

__

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:49:06 +0100, David Reid wrote:

>After the discussions last week about this topic and the best way of
>accomplishing it, I thought I'd raise this with everyone.
>
>Basically the solution should
>
>    - allow for any directory to include common files from another directory
>    - keep the number of files in the "different" directory to a minimum
>    - keep the ability to use "make depend"
>
>Brian's original suggestion would have created more files than I'd have
>liked, and my original idea would have stopped make depend from working.
>The solution?  Modify Brian's idea by having a single file that contains
>#include's for all the files from the common directory.

[..]

>Thoughts?

Yeah, that sounds workable.