Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/15 16:36:24 UTC

A new release? Can I help?

Hello forrest dev:

Java 1.5 is somewhat scarce on MacOSX and recent ubuntu. Is there any
way I could help push out a release of the trunk, which (from the
email archive) seems to be 1.6-friendly?

--benson margulies

Re: A new release? Can I help?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Benson Margulies wrote:
> Gav and David,
>
> Forgive me.

I hope that replies are coming across as constructive
and not defensive.

Over time i have tried to encourage anyone who comes
along to go the extra step.

I do need to balance between encouraging comments
and being real about the sleepy under-staffed
situation at Forrest.

In the past i put in a lot of extra volunteer time.
Now i can only assist.

> I don't know either why so many people assume that there's
> nobody home at Forrest, and so just advertise the 1.5/1.6 problem, but
> after the third or fourth I just assumed that the project was mighty
> sleepy. Thus 'residual'.

It *is* sleepy. See our past board reports.
As noted, some set of committers do attend to
queries on our mail lists. So i really have no
explanation why people don't (in general) come
here to ask or to help.

Some committers are still attentive and
have gradually worked on the holdups.

My gut feeling is that it is so close, that
one more concerted push would get it to a state
that an RM can step forward.

> Obviously, I can't be an RM, I'm not a
> committer. I'll follow David's breadcrumbs soon.

:-) "breadcrumbs" ... nice one. I admit that
as part of my OSS technique.

For Forrest i reckon that our release process would
be easier for someone who is familiar with Forrest.
As noted, it gets a bit convoluted. We ship the
current set of docs with the release. And we have
a large set of packaged supporting products.

-David

Re: A new release? Can I help?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Gav and David,

Forgive me. I don't know either why so many people assume that there's
nobody home at Forrest, and so just advertise the 1.5/1.6 problem, but
after the third or fourth I just assumed that the project was mighty
sleepy. Thus 'residual'. Obviously, I can't be an RM, I'm not a

Re: A new release? Can I help?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

RE: A new release? Can I help?

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Residual PMC members? In what way?

Not having a release for 3 years doesn’t mean the PMC has gone away.

Gav...

Re: A new release? Can I help?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: A new release? Can I help?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
To clarify one point:

If you unpack 0.8 and try to run it on Java 1.6, it fails. If you
build 0.9-dev, it works. There's no concept of 'requiring Java 6' in
the conversation.

Re: A new release? Can I help?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.