Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ray Holme <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/10/23 19:30:07 UTC

TLD startup issues

I have two systems running Tomcat 8.5.13 on Linux

   my development machine runs fully patched Fedora 26

   the server I use is using Ubuntu 16.4.3

Both have identical catalina.properties files as well as context.xml files

  The context file has a one line addition towards the end before the end of context with this line

  <JarScanner scanClassPath="false"/>

  The properties file has ALL the jar files to be found in my application added to the

  list of StandardJars....

My development machine spends 1 second or less on the TLD warning before the next line in the log comes up.

The server spends 150 seconds (good day, yesterday it was 10.5 minutes).

What can I do to speed up the startup?

Re: TLD startup issues

Posted by Ray Holme <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Andre: Thanks and noted. Good article but does not help this problem.

Konstantin: Thanks for your notes. What is truly baffling is that I made changes to catalina.properties for "jarsToSkip"
  Before my recent changes, it took 10.5 minutes to get past the TLD scan   (I had a typo from before)  Then I corrected things and get 2.5 minutes on the Ubuntu server   (the same changes made me go down to 1 second on Fedora)
  So I know I am getting the right CATALINA_HOME (see no references to CATALINA_BASE or CATALINE_BASE).
  The only other difference is that the server is on a Virtual machine (Digital Ocean) and my development server is real.

  I will try what I can to see the variables you listed , but nothing makes sense.
Baffled (for quite a while) but still trying to find it.

    On Monday, October 23, 2017 5:21 PM, Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23.10.2017 21:30, Ray Holme wrote:
>>
>> I have two systems running Tomcat 8.5.13 on Linux
>>
>>    my development machine runs fully patched Fedora 26
>>
>>    the server I use is using Ubuntu 16.4.3
>>
>> Both have identical catalina.properties files as well as context.xml files
>>
>>    The context file has a one line addition towards the end before the end
>> of context with this line
>>
>>    <JarScanner scanClassPath="false"/>
>>
>>    The properties file has ALL the jar files to be found in my application
>> added to the
>>
>>    list of StandardJars....
>>
>> My development machine spends 1 second or less on the TLD warning before
>> the next line in the log comes up.
>>
>> The server spends 150 seconds (good day, yesterday it was 10.5 minutes).
>>
>> What can I do to speed up the startup?
>>
> Did you read this ?
> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo/FasterStartUp

+1

Also, take several (3) thread dumps to see what code is actually being executed.
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Troubleshooting_and_Diagnostics#Common_Troubleshooting_Scenario

Is Ubuntu installed manually from official Tomcat binaries provided by ASF?
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Linux_Unix#Q5

It may be that the configuration that you edited is not the one that
is actually being used.

Tomcat can be run with CATALINE_BASE != CATALINA_HOME,  and some OS
vendors place Tomcat configuration files into a different place.

Print the values of system properties
catalina.home
catalina.base
tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToSkip
tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToScan
(e.g. by writing a simple JSP file that displays the values)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: TLD startup issues

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.