Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Subroto Barua <sb...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2019/02/01 16:45:05 UTC

Help with sudden spike in read requests

In our production cluster, we observed sudden spike (over 160 MB/s) in read requests on *all* Cassandra nodes for a very short period (less than a min); this event happens few times a day.
I am not able to get to the bottom of this issue, nothing interesting in system.log or from app level; repair was not running
Does anyone have any thoughts on what could have triggered this event? Under what condition C* (if it is tied to c*) will trigger this type of event?
Thanks!
Subroto

RE: Help with sudden spike in read requests

Posted by Kenneth Brotman <ke...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
If it’s a legacy write table why does it write 10% of the time?  Maybe it’s the design of the big legacy table you mentioned.  It could be so many things.

Is it the same time of day?

Same days of the week or month?

Are there analytics run at that time?

What are you using for monitoring and how did you find out it was happening?

Is this a DSE cluster or OSS Cassandra cluster?

Kenneth Brotman

Posted by Subroto Barua <sb...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Kenneth Brotman <ke...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Subroto Barua <sb...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.