Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dominik Jednoralski <to...@lime-design.de> on 2002/02/07 19:02:13 UTC

Newbie problem with reading init params

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with getting my init-params from the web.xml-file.
These are the parameters I inserted into the
webapps/root/web-inf/web.xml-file:

<web-app>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>ShowMsg</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>limeservlets.ShowMessage</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>message</param-name>
      <param-value>Nerv-Serv</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>repeats</param-name>
      <param-value>5</param-value>
    </init-param>
  </servlet>
</web-app>

Now I failed to read these parameters with the follwing servlet:

package limeservlets;

import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;

 public class ShowMessage extends HttpServlet {
    private String message;
    private String defaultMessage = "Leider keine Nachricht.";
    private int repeats = 1;

    public void init (ServletConfig config) throws ServletException{
       super.init(config);
       message = config.getInitParameter("message");
       if (message == null) {
       	message = defaultMessage;
       }

       try {
       	 String repeatString = config.getInitParameter ("repeats");
       	 repeats = Integer.parseInt(repeatString);
       } catch (NumberFormatException nfe){}
    }

    public void doGet (HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response)
       throws ServletException, IOException{
    	response.setContentType("text/html");
    	PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
    	String title = "The Servlet which shows a message!";

    	out.println(ServletUtilities.headWithTitle(title) +
    	"<body bgcolor=#fdf5f6>\n<h1>"+ title + "</h1><br>");
    	for (int i = 0; i < repeats; i ++) {
    	out.println(message + "<br>");
    	}
    	out.println("</body></html>");
    }
 }

Does anyone know the reason for that? I for myself don't have a clue- I'm
not really
into configuring servers...

Dominik Jednoralski

. Lime Design Mediengestaltung