Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Nick Chammas <ni...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/24 21:50:18 UTC

Discourse: A proposed alternative to the Spark User list

When people have questions about Spark, there are 2 main places (as far as
I can tell) where they ask them:

   - Stack Overflow, under the apache-spark tag
   <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/apache-spark>
   - This mailing list

The mailing list is valuable as an independent place for discussion that is
part of the Spark project itself. Furthermore, it allows for a broader
range of discussions than would be allowed on Stack Overflow
<http://stackoverflow.com/help/dont-ask>.

As the Spark project has grown in popularity, I see that a few problems
have emerged with this mailing list:

   - It’s hard to follow topics (e.g. Streaming vs. SQL) that you’re
   interested in, and it’s hard to know when someone has mentioned you
   specifically.
   - It’s hard to search for existing threads and link information across
   disparate threads.
   - It’s hard to format code and log snippets nicely, and by extension,
   hard to read other people’s posts with this kind of information.

There are existing solutions to all these (and other) problems based around
straight-up discipline or client-side tooling, which users have to conjure
up for themselves.

I’d like us as a community to consider using Discourse
<http://www.discourse.org/> as an alternative to, or overlay on top of,
this mailing list, that provides better out-of-the-box solutions to these
problems.

Discourse is a modern discussion platform built by some of the same people
who created Stack Overflow. It has many neat features
<http://v1.discourse.org/about/> that I believe this community would
benefit from.

For example:

   - When a user starts typing up a new post, they get a panel *showing
   existing conversations that look similar*, just like on Stack Overflow.
   - It’s easy to search for posts and link between them.
   - *Markdown support* is built-in to composer.
   - You can *specifically mention people* and they will be notified.
   - Posts can be categorized (e.g. Streaming, SQL, etc.).
   - There is a built-in option for mailing list support which forwards all
   activity on the forum to a user’s email address and which allows for
   creation of new posts via email.

What do you think of Discourse as an alternative, more manageable way to
discus Spark?

There are a few options we can consider:

   1. Work with the ASF as well as the Discourse team to allow Discourse to
   act as an overlay on top of this mailing list
   <https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-as-a-front-end-for-existing-asf-mailing-lists/23167?u=nicholaschammas>,
   allowing people to continue to use the mailing list as-is if they want.
   (This is the toughest but perhaps most attractive option.)
   2. Create a new Discourse forum for Spark that is not bound to this user
   list. This is relatively easy but will effectively fork the community on
   this list. (We cannot shut down this mailing in favor of one managed by
   Discourse.)
   3. Don’t use Discourse. Just encourage people on this list to post
   instead on Stack Overflow whenever possible.
   4. Something else.

What does everyone think?

Nick
​

Re: Discourse: A proposed alternative to the Spark User list

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Sean that a Spark-specific Stack Exchange likely won't help
and almost certainly won't make it out of Area 51. The idea certainly
sounds nice from our perspective as Spark users, but it doesn't mesh with
the structure of Stack Exchange or the criteria for creating new sites.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I think a Spark site would have a lot less traffic. One annoyance is
> that people can't figure out when to post on SO vs Data Science vs
> Cross Validated.

Another is that a lot of the discussions we see on the Spark users
list would be closed very quickly at Stack Overflow. Long and abstract
discussions are generally a good recipe to get your question closed.
Which is an argument for why Discourse would be more appropriate, I
guess.

Finally, maybe I'm showing my age, but I really dislike having to
follow lots of different places. What would happen is that,
personally, I'd end up either ignoring any new discussion forum, or
just treating it like a mailing list and doing everything by e-mail.
Now get off my lawn.

--
Marcelo

Re: Discourse: A proposed alternative to the Spark User list

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by pierred <pi...@demartines.com>.
Love it!

There is a reason why SO is so effective and popular.  Search is excellent,
you can quickly find very thoughtful answers about sometimes thorny
problems, and it is easy to contribute, format code, etc.  Perhaps the most
useful feature is that the best answers naturally bubble up to the top, so
these are the ones you see first.

One annoyance is the "troll" phenomenon, see e.g.
http://michael.richter.name/blogs/why-i-no-longer-contribute-to-stackoverflow
(that also mentions other pet peeves about SO).  That phenomenon is, IMHO,
most prevalent on the stackoverflow itself, perhaps less so on other
stackexchange sites.

At the same time, I do appreciate the pressure to provide well-written,
concise, and "for the posterity" questions and answers.  That peer pressure
is what, to a good extent, makes the material on SO so valuable and useful.
It is probably a tricky balance to strike.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
The Stack Exchange community will not support creating a whole new site
just for Spark (otherwise you’d see dedicated sites for much larger topics
like “Python”). Their tagging system works well enough to separate
questions about different topics, and the apache-spark
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/apache-spark> tag on Stack
Overflow is already doing pretty well.

The ASF as well as this community will also not support any migration of
the mailing list to another system due to ASF rules
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html> and community
fragmentation.

Realistically, the only options available to us that I see are options 1
and 3 from my original email (which can be used together).

Option 3: Change the culture around the user list. Encourage people to use
Stack Overflow whenever possible, and this list only when their question
doesn’t fit SO’s strict rules.

Option 1: Work with the ASF and the Discourse teams to allow Discourse to
be deployed as an overlay on top of this existing mailing list. (e.g. Like
a new UI on top of an old database.)

The goal of both changes would be to make the user list more usable.

Nick

People can continue using the stack exchange sites as is with no additional

Posted by Andrew Ash <an...@andrewash.com>.

Posted by pzecevic <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi, guys!

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for providing that additional background, Josh.

It looks like many people on that Google Groups thread wanted a better
interface than is offered by the Apache mailing lists. Some even raised the
idea of a bi-directional bridge
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/spark-users/vtg-5db8JWY/Z37CbNJSvQAJ>,
like I proposed on the Discourse Meta forum
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-as-a-front-end-for-existing-asf-mailing-lists/23167?u=nicholaschammas>
.

Tobias wrote:

uh, I would have expected a rather heated discussion, but the opposite
seems to be the case ;-)

Well, it’s the holidays, so people may just be away. :)

On the other hand, I suspect that part of the lack of responses comes from
1) people not finding this thread due to the volume of mail on the list and
the poor interface, and 2) people having long ago given up on the list and
moved on—specifically, people who cared about the discussion platform we
used and knew there were better options out there.

That’s the scary and disappointing aspect to this. We’ll likely never hear
from the people who long ago found this mailing list hard to use.
Increasingly, we will be left with 1) a dwindling group of hardcore
devotees who are willing to put up with the list and somehow still squeeze
value out of it, and 2) waves of new users who come, throw a few new posts
into the chaos, and then leave, disappointed.

Option 3 from my initial email (keep the list as-is and just encourage
people to post on Stack Overflow when possible) does currently seem like
the most realistic option we have to making this list more usable. Though I
look forward to hearing what Josh and others have to say about the matter.

Nick
​

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tobias Pfeiffer <tg...@preferred.jp>.
Nick,

Posted by andy petrella <an...@gmail.com>.
Nice idea, although it needs a plan on their hosting, or spark to host it
if I'm not wrong.

I've been using Slack for discussions, it's not exactly the same of
discourse, the ML or SO but offers interesting features.
It's more in the mood of IRC integrated with external services.

my2c

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
I like the idea and the hope that it turns 2+ places for discussions into
1, but in practice I think it will just turn it into 3+. The only thing I
can imagine is making a tool like this an overlay. Does that require much
integration work and does it affect anyone who can't use it?

People won't stop asking on SO and I don't imagine you can drop an official
project mailing list. ASF mailing lists are janky (ezmlm? Really?) and I'd
much prefer anything else but maybe simplest to leave that and try to
overlay.

Posted by Petar Zecevic <pe...@gmail.com>.
But voting is done on dev list, right? That could stay there...

Overlay might be a fine solution, too, but that still gives two user
lists (SO and Nabble+overlay).

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
we could implement some ‘load balancing’ policies:

I think Gerard’s suggestions are good. We need some “official” buy-in from
the project’s maintainers and heavy contributors and we should move forward
with them.

I know that at least Josh Rosen, Sean Owen, and Tathagata Das, who are
active on this list, are also active on SO
<http://stackoverflow.com/tags/apache-spark/topusers>. So perhaps we’re
already part of the way there.

Nick
​

Posted by Gerard Maas <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Petar Zecevic <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Tiernay <bt...@hotmail.com>.
Very well stated. Thanks for putting in the effort to formalize your thoughts of which I agree entirely.
How are these type of decisions made traditionally in the Spark community? Is there a formal process? What's the next step?
Thanks again

From: nicholas.chammas@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 02:55:33 +0000
Subject: Re: Discourse: A proposed alternative to the Spark User list

[...]