Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2004/01/08 18:27:19 UTC

Re: DigestingPlugIn

>I know I've asked this before, and forget how it turned out, so
>please forgive me for asking again :)
>
>Would it be possible to do an example usage of the DigestingPlugin
>that sets up static servlet context attributes, as is done by the
>MemoryPlugIn in the MailReader Example?
>
>Of course, if you're still out of town, don't worry about responding
>right away. This can wait.

I had done something like it a little before DigestingPlugin was
committed, but it faced the challenge that LabelValueBean didn't have
a no-arg constructor, and so was hard to use with Digester.

In case the commits weren't announcement enough, I changed the
example application so that instead of creating the "serverTypes"
list of LVBs in the MemoryDatabasePlugIn, that list is now created by
the DigestingPlugIn.

When I have some more time, I'll look for a place in the walking tour
to add some information, although work is about to get real busy
again.

How would people feel about putting the XML digester rules for the
label value beans into the Struts JAR?  I can see the argument that
it's not really core, and I wouldn't fight about it, but I can see
where it would be convenient.  For now, I just put it in WEB-INF,
which makes the struts-config a little cleaner (because I changed
DigestingPlugIn to default to looking in the servlet context if the
"source" of either the data XML or digester XML is not specified).

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: DigestingPlugIn

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>  > I had done something like it a little before DigestingPlugin was
>>  committed, but it faced the challenge that LabelValueBean didn't have
>>  a no-arg constructor, and so was hard to use with Digester.
>
>I believe I committed a fix for that issue some time ago.

You did; that's why I was able to do the example now!

>Not only is it not core functionality but it forces you to use a certain
>XML structure for loading LVB objects.  I'd rather let users decide how
>their XML looks when using Digester to load objects.

Fair enough.  There are plenty of other files that people habitually
copy into WEB-INF when beginning a Struts project; one more won't
hurt for those that want it.

Joe

Re: DigestingPlugIn

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> wrote:
> >I know I've asked this before, and forget how it turned out, so
> >please forgive me for asking again :)
> >
> >Would it be possible to do an example usage of the DigestingPlugin
> >that sets up static servlet context attributes, as is done by the
> >MemoryPlugIn in the MailReader Example?
> >
> >Of course, if you're still out of town, don't worry about responding
> >right away. This can wait.
>
> I had done something like it a little before DigestingPlugin was
> committed, but it faced the challenge that LabelValueBean didn't have
> a no-arg constructor, and so was hard to use with Digester.

I believe I committed a fix for that issue some time ago.

> In case the commits weren't announcement enough, I changed the
> example application so that instead of creating the "serverTypes"
> list of LVBs in the MemoryDatabasePlugIn, that list is now created by
> the DigestingPlugIn.
>
> When I have some more time, I'll look for a place in the walking tour
> to add some information, although work is about to get real busy
> again.
>
> How would people feel about putting the XML digester rules for the
> label value beans into the Struts JAR?  I can see the argument that
> it's not really core, and I wouldn't fight about it, but I can see
> where it would be convenient.

Not only is it not core functionality but it forces you to use a certain
XML structure for loading LVB objects.  I'd rather let users decide how
their XML looks when using Digester to load objects.

David