Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by mark sull <mo...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/04 16:01:35 UTC

Good site! Questions

Hi,
I recently viewed your site,
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/documentation.html
and found it quite interesting. I have a couple of
questions:
I can't find the source code for how to read an XML
based configuration file using a DOM parser. If this
cannot be posted, could this be sent on? It would be
quite useful to read it.
I also wonder about parsing configuration files. Can
categories be placed/defined in these files?
How are the configuration files recognised/parsed when
passed into a programming structure?
Keep up the good work on an excellent site,
Regards,
Mark.

Re: Good site! Questions

Posted by Yoav Shapira <sh...@mpi.com>.
Hi there,
Check out the various XML sample configuration files, located in the
samples package and linked to throughout the documentation and
manual.  You can define categories (now called loggers), as well
as other log4j entities (appenders, thresholds, renderers, etc.)
in these configuration files.

Part of the point, at least for me, in using a 3rd party libray is
not knowing its implementation.  Unless you're looking to learn how
to parse XML files or something like that, the idea is to trust
the product to do what it's supposed to do, and hide the implementation
from you... I've done that with log4j and so far and have had nothing
but great success with the product...

Yoav