Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2006/02/10 10:43:42 UTC

verifying signed jars (was: Re: FYI missing mail)

Stepan Mishura wrote:
<snip>
> Returning back to the 'missing post'. I agreed with suggestion but currently
> we don't have Harmony provider so we should define how we locate 'trusted
> provides' to be secure.

We just need a trusted SHA1PRNG, right? then we can open signed
providers' jars and get any others.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

FYI, we are going take some code from BC in juice project. Check [1]
for more info.

thanks,
dims

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xml-juice-dev/200601.mbox/%3C43CE5A15.6030202@t-online.de%3E

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Well, we can start with binaries and if we strike a snag will see

Thanks,
Mikhail

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mikhail Loenko,

:-) I'm just wondering whether it's possible to change/improve
BouncyCastle to meet our requirement.

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
That's a good idea :-)

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
We can if it is legal

Thanks,
Mikhail

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: verifying signed jars

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Mikhail,

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> More implementatoins we have in Harmony - less we depend on third parties.
>
> I think SHA-1 and DSA is something to start with.
>
> Makes sense?

Makes sense.

> Thanks,
> Mikhail
>
> On 2/10/06, George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stepan,
>>
>> In the short term, yes, SHA-1 and DSA should suffice for verifying the
>> BouncyCastle provider jar. Long term though, Harmony will also need to
>> support the MD5 and RSA algorithms for other providers that may have
>> been signed with those algorithms. While the Jar file specification does
>> not mandate a set of digest and signature algorithms that may be used
>> for signing, it should be noted that the reference jarsigner tool
>> supports both DSA+SHA-1 and RSA+MD5.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> George
>> IBM UK
>>
>> PS, Keeping my fingers crossed this ends up on the dev-list :-)
>>

>> Stepan Mishura wrote:
>>
>>> We should have at least to verify BC provider:
>>> 1) Message digest algorithm: SHA-1
>>> 2) Signature algorithm: SHA1withDSA
>>>
>>> Other jars may require additional algorithms, for example,
>>> SHA1withRSA. We can verify BC provider first and use it for further
>>> jar verifications.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Stepan Mishura
>>> Intel Middleware Products Division
>>>

>>> On 2/10/06, *George Harley* <george.c.harley@googlemail.com
>>> <ma...@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi Tim,
>>>
>>>     In order to verify the signature of those signed provider jars I
>>>     believe
>>>     that you would also need trusted implementations of :
>>>
>>>     * SHA-1 and MD5 digest algorithms
>>>     * DSA and RSA signature algorithms
>>>

>>>     Best regards,
>>>     George
>>>     IBM UK
>>>

>>>     Tim Ellison wrote:
>>>     > Stepan Mishura wrote:
>>>     > <snip>
>>>     >
>>>     >> Returning back to the 'missing post'. I agreed with suggestion
>>>     but currently
>>>     >> we don't have Harmony provider so we should define how we
>>>     locate 'trusted
>>>     >> provides' to be secure.
>>>     >>
>>>     >
>>>     > We just need a trusted SHA1PRNG, right? then we can open signed
>>>     > providers' jars and get any others.
>>>     >
>>>     > Regards,
>>>     > Tim