Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Masoud Kalali <ka...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/12 22:03:27 UTC

Re: How to find master record primary key to use it in inserting details records

Legolas Woodland wrote:

> Hi
> Thank you for reading my post
> I have two tables which are related to eachother using a column (master
> details)
> my problem is that master table primary key is auto increment
> so when i insert a recoed to it i can not determine the primary key value
> so i do not know the key ,
> Now my problem is that how i can find the primary key of master record
> to use it when i inert
> details records ?
> I should say that it is a very high hit application , before i post this
> message i though that i can execute a query and select latest inserted
> record
> but latest inserted record could be from another user not the current user.
> Thanks

you may use IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL()  , which return latest identity value
inserted for a table by the connection that call this function.
so you will have no problem about multiple connections because  each
connection will have its own state

--
Regards , Masoud Kalali
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kalali/

Re: How to find master record primary key to use it in inserting details records

Posted by Christine Johnson <cj...@willowtech.com>.
> Legolas Woodland wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > Thank you for reading my post
> > I have two tables which are related to eachother using a column (master
> > details)
> > my problem is that master table primary key is auto increment
> > so when i insert a recoed to it i can not determine the primary key
value
> > so i do not know the key ,
> > Now my problem is that how i can find the primary key of master record
> > to use it when i inert
> > details records ?
> > I should say that it is a very high hit application , before i post this
> > message i though that i can execute a query and select latest inserted
> > record
> > but latest inserted record could be from another user not the current
user.
> > Thanks
> >

> you may use IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL()  , which return latest identity value
> inserted for a table by the connection that call this function.
> so you will have no problem about multiple connections because  each
> connection will have its own state
>
> --
> Regards , Masoud Kalali
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kalali/

The getGeneratedKeys method of a Statement or PreparedStatement will work
too.  Find the "Autogenerated Keys" page in the Derby Reference Manual for
more information.

Regards,
Chris Johnson
cjohnson@willowtech.com