Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2006/10/24 03:42:30 UTC

Re: About the SpamHaus lawsuit?

Robert Braver wrote:
> On Monday, October 23, 2006, 7:52:56 PM, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
> MP> The judge should have raised the issue sua sponte. (of his own motion)
>
> While the court can decide, sua sponta, that it doesn't have subject
> matter jurisdiction, I don't believe it can do that with regards to
> personal jurisdiction (unless, perhaps, the pleadings were blatantly
> defective).
>
> The Plaintiff did plead (alleged) facts that would tend to support
> personal jurisdiction over the defendant - the defendant did not
> refute those facts (if I missed something in the record of the case,
> please correct me) and, once again, the defendant deliberately
> allowed judgment to be taken against it. Harping on the court for
> following the law and because the outcome of the case is exactly
> what the defendant deliberately allowed to happen is non-sensical.
>
> MP> Does anyone have the address of the court? I might write the judge a
> MP> letter myself.
>
> It is trivial to look it up on Google or follow the link to the
> court's web site from www.uscourts.gov. However, I'd respectfully
> suggest you don't embarrass yourself. You have no standing in the
> matter, any such letters would be afforded absolutely no
> consideration, which is as it should be. Your letter would, at best,
> simply be sent back to you with a note from the clerk explaining
> this.
>
> As I've explained before, I've been on the receiving end of
> retaliatory lawsuits and counter-claims from the bad guys
> (telemarketers, junk faxers and spammers), and am clearly
> sympathetic to Spamhaus' plight here. However, there is nothing I
> can see in the record to fault the court on in this case. Spamhaus
> apparently intends to appeal, so we'll just have to see what issues
> are raised.

I get referrals to host web sites than no one else will host. I've been
sued twice by lawyers who thought they could intimidate me. In both
cases I wrote a letter to the judge and told him that I was in San
Francisco and that he didn't have personal jurisdiction and that his
court wasn't the proper venue for the lawsuit. And in both cases they
dismissed me from the suit.