Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by tm jee <tm...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2006/08/21 09:21:13 UTC

[s2] Freemarker transform name

Hi guys,

 If not mistaken i think we came to the conclusion to rename Struts2 Freemarker transform from saf to s such that instead of doing

 <@saf.property value="...." />

 we would do

 <@s.property value="...." />

 Just want to confirm this, cause I've notice the its not changed to "s" yet. I could make the changes within these few days, if the above is correct.

 Tia.

Re: [s2] Freemarker transform name

Posted by tm jee <tm...@yahoo.co.uk>.
>I updated that, and the velocity prefix, yesterday.
Ah...  Ok.. cheers Ted.  Looks like I am a bit out dated.  :-)

> For the validator framework, is the "Classname-alias-validation.xml"
> syntax working?

Yes, i believe it is.

> The next biggest task is following up with the taglib proposal.
> (Starting with refreshing the TLD file from the WW head.)

Ok, have we decided on this yet? that is to maintain only the tld (by hand) and have all the examples in the tld as well. If so, I think we'll have to remove all the xdoclet tags as well to avoid confusion.

>  But, since it's optional for 2.0, that could also wait for 2.0.1 or so.
Ok then.

> We should also update the Showcase example so that they do not use the
> ! alias syntax.
Agree. I think we have a jira issue for this already.

rgds.

Posted by Patrick Lightbody <fo...@opensymphony.com>.
Ted,
I'm still not yet on board with removing the ! syntax until we have a solid replacement. I don't think pointing to wildcards is enough, especially since you would have to create a wildcard for every namespace. That is more configuration than I'm willing to recommend to our users.

I would, however, be open to introducing the type of action mapping and convention-based configuration I have put in to Able, while still also supporting struts.xml:

http://svn.opensymphony.com/fisheye/browse/sandbox/able/src/main/java/com/opensymphony/able/webwork/AbleActionMapper.java?r=7

http://svn.opensymphony.com/fisheye/browse/sandbox/able/src/main/java/com/opensymphony/able/webwork/AbleConfiguration.java?r=4

But without something like the above, or with a way to use wildcards for multiple namespaces, I cannot readily agree to dropping the ! syntax.

I know that the overriding concern is "security". I have a few thoughts on that:

1) I would suggest reaching out to the big WebWork users (Jive, Atlassian, Google, others) to see if this is something that has concerned them in the past. My feeling is that it isn't a big concern, because they understand anything in an action is "fair game" to URL manipulators and that that has always been clearly understood.

2) Assuming we want to make method invocation more obvious, we could require an annotation or a convention such as as doXxx, such as RIFE does.

Re: [s2] Freemarker transform name

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.