Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by John Wass <jw...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/18 13:21:25 UTC

Daffodil schema file extension

Doing a little work with software that cares about file extensions,
resulting in a couple questions about the history and future of the dfdl
file extension.

1, Why was the extension of .dfdl.xsd used?
2. What issues would arise by dropping the xsd part?
3. Are there any other extensions being used, or were there others in the
past?

Interested in Daffodil and DFDL answers, if they diverge somehow.

Thanks!

Re: Daffodil schema file extension

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@owlcyberdefense.com>.
This is definitely still an issue.

Struggles with this are documented in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-1638 which is open.

________________________________
Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@owlcyberdefense.com>.

Posted by John Wass <jw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@owlcyberdefense.com>.
Well, admittedly some of my observations may be dated to using Eclipse. I agree IntelliJ does seem to just generally a better job on all forms of XML/XSD/DFDL.

The advantage of a <daf:DFDL...> element would be that it wouldn't matter that the tooling is smart. Any XML-aware tool would treat these as XML documents, and use the schemas we provide to give full support for all aspects.

Posted by John Wass <jw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Wass <jw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@owlcyberdefense.com>.
If you have edited tdml in an XML aware editor, you know that the support for embedded dfdl schemas is better than it is in xsd editors for a dfdl schema file.

For that reason I thought maybe we should use the ".dfdl" extension for a daffodil feature which replaces the xs:schema element of a dfdl schema with a daf:dfdl element. It would otherwise take all the same attributes as xs:schema, but by being our own outermost element the editor support would treat it more like tdml than xsd.

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.