Posted to user@bookkeeper.apache.org by Subash K <su...@ericsson.com> on 2020/04/16 10:23:16 UTC

Rollback of Apache Bookeeper

Hi,

We are planning to introduce Apache Pulsar in our product. In general we always support upgrade and rollback of our product.

So I'm trying to understand is there any defined steps provided to support rollback of Apache Bookeeper to its earlier version after completing full cluster upgrade? I was not able to find those information in https://bookkeeper.apache.org/docs/latest/admin/upgrade/<https://slack-redir.net/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbookkeeper.apache.org%2Fdocs%2Flatest%2Fadmin%2Fupgrade%2F&v=3>

Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai

RE: Rollback of Apache Bookeeper

Posted by Subash K <su...@ericsson.com>.
Hi Sijie,

Thanks for detailed procedure to achieve rollback. Just for an info, our product comprises of many Open Source components like Pulsar, Hadoop ecosystem and our own Java (stateless) application, rollback can be triggered if there is issue in any of the components.

Having said that, my queries/thoughts on both the approaches you have mentioned:

  *   But a general approach I mentioned in my previous is doing rollback via re-replicating the data. Basically you can start a brand new bookie server running with the old version that is configured using old disk format. Then you can tear down the bookie server that runs a newer version that is configured to use a new disk format. The auto-recovery process will re-replicate the data to the bookies run old version. This is the way you achieve "rollback". – I’m not sure how the re-replication works, may be I’ve to go through the relevant document to understand it better. But from the outset, are you advising to run two instance of broker in a machine (old and new) or similar to below we can have both old and new version in the cluster and after performing canary test we can decide to rollback or not and if rollback is decided, then it can be done using re-replication?
  *   Rollback after performing canary test with both old and new version are active in a cluster for some period of time – This option will help us only if there is issue with Pulsar/Bookkeeper. As I mentioned above, if there are issue is any of the Open source component / application we will be forced to rollback, in that case we won’t be able pick this option.

For now (with my limited knowledge on Pulsar & Bookkeeper and for our product), the best possible option that I see is:

  *   After upgrade, the new disk format version will be updated in bookkeeper configuration. In case of rollback, the disk format version has be reverted to an older version. We have to ensure that all data are re-written in older format before rolling back the binaries.

Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai

Da: Subash K <su...@ericsson.com>>
Date: Ven 17 Apr 2020, 16:32
To: user@bookkeeper.apache.org<ma...@bookkeeper.apache.org> <us...@bookkeeper.apache.org>>

Thanks a lot Enrico 😊

Regards,

Subash Kunjupillai

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: Rollback of Apache Bookeeper

Posted by Subash K <su...@ericsson.com>.
Thanks a lot Enrico 😊

Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Subash

Posted by Subash K <su...@ericsson.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com>.
I think the question is - does BookKeeper support rollbacks? My guess the
answer is no.
But we can selectively do rollbacks if we know what we are doing.

I think it would be good if we introduce rollback support feature. Bookies
need support 'forward compatibility'.

--
Jvrao
---