Posted to community@apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/11/23 01:13:33 UTC

Microsoft warns Asian Gov'ts -- puts Linux users on notice

 "Linux violates more than 228 patents, according to a recent report
  from a research group", Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer
  said at the company's Asian Government Leaders Forum in
  Singapore.  "Someday, for all countries that are entering the WTO,
  somebody will come and look for money owing to the rights for that
  intellectual property."

  ref:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/11/19/tech.microsoft.linux3.reut/index.
html

We don't need to worry about managing Linux IP, but in my view, this is far
from an isolated event.

	--- Noel

Re: Microsoft warns Asian Gov'ts -- puts Linux users on notice

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 23 November 2004 22:00, Raphaël Luta wrote:

> Note that this is largely FUD on Microsoft part, right now you can't
> enforce a software patent in most of the world, WTO or no WTO.

Exactly. M$ has problems to find growth markets, and the biggest promise is
China, but the signals from them are; "We are going Linux."
Same message M$ keeps hearing from all the other East Asian countries, perhaps
except Japan (don't follow what happens there much).

This will in turn churn out millions of chinese Linux programmers, who will
create top-notch applications in every conceivable field, and with a bit of
luck English versions will be available for the rest of the world to enjoy.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Microsoft warns Asian Gov'ts -- puts Linux users on notice

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>  "Linux violates more than 228 patents, according to a recent report
>   from a research group", Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer
>   said at the company's Asian Government Leaders Forum in
>   Singapore.  "Someday, for all countries that are entering the WTO,
>   somebody will come and look for money owing to the rights for that
>   intellectual property."
>
>   ref:
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/11/19/tech.microsoft.linux3.reut/index.
> html
>
> We don't need to worry about managing Linux IP, but in my view, this is far
> from an isolated event.

Note that this is largely FUD on Microsoft part, right now you can't enforce a
software patent in most of the world, WTO or no WTO.
The WTO TRIPS agreement that covers extension of patents within the WTO does
not automatically force all countries to recognize software patents as valid.

You have an extensive coverage and analysis of software patent issues
(European point of view) here:
http://swpat.ffii.org/

With some special analysis on WTO TRIPS applicability:
http://swpat.ffii.org/analysis/trips/

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/

Re: Microsoft warns Asian Gov'ts -- puts Linux users on notice

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 03:54 PM 11/23/2004, Rich Bowen wrote:

>I particularly liked the bit about "nobody ever knows who built the
>open-source stuff."
>
>Au contraire, I know exactly who built the open-source stuff, and I have
>no clue whatever who built the MicroSoft stuff. What kind of strange
>double-talk are they practicing?

Maybe Microsoft is realizing that the good old days are over and it's
all downhill from here on.

--
Ceki Gülcü

  The complete log4j manual:  http://qos.ch/eclm

Re: Microsoft warns Asian Gov'ts -- puts Linux users on notice

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.