Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2004/08/13 14:14:46 UTC

JDT and Jasper

Hi,

I've changed my mind a lot on this particular subject, but I'm still
investigating.
I'm looking at JDT right now, for use in Jasper, to replace Ant + javac
task as the default Java compiler. It might be mature enough, and would
run with a JRE. It is also relatively small (the whole compiler is less
about 1.5M after trimming stuff from the jdtcore JAR, to compare with
the Ant JAR which doesn't do much by itself and is slightly less than 1M).

The other advantages:
- loads "source dependencies" from the classloader
- good error reporting API (no need for hackish text output capture anymore)

Note: The license seems ok (Cocoon uses it already).

Rémy

Re: JDT and Jasper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've changed my mind a lot on this particular subject, but I'm still
>> investigating.
>> I'm looking at JDT right now, for use in Jasper, to replace Ant +
>> javac task as the default Java compiler. It might be mature enough,
>> and would run with a JRE. It is also relatively small (the whole
>> compiler is less about 1.5M after trimming stuff from the jdtcore JAR,
>> to compare with the Ant JAR which doesn't do much by itself and is
>> slightly less than 1M).
>>
>> The other advantages:
>> - loads "source dependencies" from the classloader
>> - good error reporting API (no need for hackish text output capture
>> anymore)
>>
>> Note: The license seems ok (Cocoon uses it already).
>

> To restate maybe a little more clearly, we would go back to having more
> than one compiler, with the two supported options being:
> - Ant with javac task (which AFAIK supports virtually all the compilers)
> - (and shipped by default) JDT

That sounds better :-).

Since JDT is from eclipse, we can also use the idea of plugin here - and
have the javac task and other compilers as separate plugins the user can
download and install.

I'm making some progress with the class loader - modules placed in
server/webapps/  can now be loaded  ( with Class.forName or equiv ) from
the server class loader, and can access classes from each other.
Reloading of server classes also seems to work now, after serveral
problems ( at least for the smtp connector I'm playing with ).

My current approach is to use server/webapps as the equivalent of
eclipse plugins - with a ContainerServlet that does all initialization,
etc. It just reuses all the webapp infrastrucutre ( manager can control
modules, etc ).

That means an ant/javac plugin could be packaged as a ( priviledged )
war and deployed in tomcat.

Costin

Re: JDT and Jasper

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: JDT and Jasper

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Are you talking about the compiler in eclipse ?

Yes.

> Does it allow a way to set up to use jikes ?

No. It's a compiler written in Java, and it should be fast enough.

Rémy

Re: JDT and Jasper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.