Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1998/11/11 02:06:35 UTC

Strange auth bug

I am trying to track down a weird bug here.  Just wondering if anybody has
run across something similar.

When I authenticate on a page using a user id of: tätär
and a password of: blah

IE sends an Authorization header which looks like this:

  Basic dOR05HI6YmxhaA==

while Netscape sends:

  Basic dOR0

What gives?  Unless I missed something, this looks like a pretty basic
browser bug.

I am testing with Navigator 4.5 on Win98 and IE5.

-Rasmus

Re: Strange auth bug

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> I'll wager Netscape are using a signed char in their base 64 encoder...

That's what I was going to suggest.  If it's linked shared you could tweak
the isfoo() table (whatever it's called) so that it has entries 128..255
duplicated at -128..-1... might fix it.

Dean

Re: Strange auth bug

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> I am trying to track down a weird bug here.  Just wondering if anybody has
> run across something similar.
>
> When I authenticate on a page using a user id of: tätär
> and a password of: blah
>
> IE sends an Authorization header which looks like this:
>
>   Basic dOR05HI6YmxhaA==
>
> while Netscape sends:
>
>   Basic dOR0
>
> What gives?  Unless I missed something, this looks like a pretty basic
> browser bug.

I'll wager Netscape are using a signed char in their base 64 encoder...

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Strange auth bug

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 08:06:35PM -0500, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> When I authenticate on a page using a user id of: tätär
> and a password of: blah
[snip]

> while Netscape sends:
>
>   Basic dOR0

Duplicated with Navigator 4.07 on Linux.

> What gives?  Unless I missed something, this looks like a pretty basic
> browser bug.

Sure seems like it. This decodes into "tät". Looks like Netscape's
encoder choked after munching on one chunk of input with an 8-bit
character.

"Show me an Ethernet collision and I'll show you a network that could
do with one user fewer." -- BOFH