Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by ky...@panix.com on 2004/04/23 22:51:24 UTC

t/DOMDocument.t fails

Hi, folks.  I finally managed to build a Xerces.so that doesn't bomb
upon loading via use XML::Xerces.  (I'll give the gory details in the
thread "Building Xerces.so on a Debian system", if anyone is
interested).

So now the only test that fails is t/DOMDocument.t.  Out of 35,125
subtests, 62 of them fail.  The error messages for these 62 failed
subtests all have the same form; for example:

  Error code: 5
  not ok 662
  #     Failed test (t/DOMDocument.t.skip at line 218)
  char: <0x00C0>

Does anyone have any idea of what could be going wrong?

Thanks!

KJ

Re: t/DOMDocument.t fails

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
<ky...@panix.com> writes:

> Yep, that did the trick.  I'm sorry I missed that FAQ info.

No sweat - you've certainly gone far and beyond the effort of a mere
mortal - I just like to get these things into the search engines so
the next person that comes along can find it easier.

> BTW, there's a minor (I think) bug in t/actualCast.t that causes it to
> fail under test_harness.  It appears that this test runs only 9
> subtests (of which 7 pass and the rest are skipped) but the script
> declares 11 as planned, so test_harness declares the overall test as
> failed.

Yup, thanks. It's already fixed for the next release, but I haven't
takent the time to actually produce a 2.5 release...

Cheers,
jas.

Re: t/DOMDocument.t fails

Posted by ky...@panix.com.

   From: jason@openinformatics.com (Jason E. Stewart)
   Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 07:57:46 +0530

     C.1 Why do a bunch of tests fail in t/DOMDocument.t?

       - If they are 662..723, try setting your LC_CTYPE environment
	 variable to something besides the default value of "C", such as:

	 export LC_CTYPE=en_US

Yep, that did the trick.  I'm sorry I missed that FAQ info.

BTW, there's a minor (I think) bug in t/actualCast.t that causes it to
fail under test_harness.  It appears that this test runs only 9
subtests (of which 7 pass and the rest are skipped) but the script
declares 11 as planned, so test_harness declares the overall test as
failed.

Thanks for your help!

kj

P.S. I'll file a separate bug report for actualCast.t I just
described, just for the record.

Re: t/DOMDocument.t fails

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
<ky...@panix.com> writes:

> Hi, folks.  I finally managed to build a Xerces.so that doesn't bomb
> upon loading via use XML::Xerces.  (I'll give the gory details in the
> thread "Building Xerces.so on a Debian system", if anyone is
> interested).

Excellent! Sorry again that it took so much effort.

> So now the only test that fails is t/DOMDocument.t.  Out of 35,125
> subtests, 62 of them fail.  The error messages for these 62 failed
> subtests all have the same form; for example:
>
>   Error code: 5
>   not ok 662
>   #     Failed test (t/DOMDocument.t.skip at line 218)
>   char: <0x00C0>
>
> Does anyone have any idea of what could be going wrong?

The oddly named DOMDocument test is actually a test of your unicode
system - it iterates over all unicode characters defined in XML 1.0
that can be used to begin an element name and attempts to create an
XML document with a single element that begins with that character.

So when this fails it means that something is not configured correctly
for using unicode.

It is included in the FAQ:

  C. Unicode Support
  C.1 Why do a bunch of tests fail in t/DOMDocument.t?

    - If they are 662..723, try setting your LC_CTYPE environment
      variable to something besides the default value of "C", such as:

      export LC_CTYPE=en_US

    - Otherwise, are you using Perl-5.6.0 or greater?

Cheers,
jas.