Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "MNYANYI, FIDELIS" <F....@AFDB.ORG> on 2014/04/17 13:14:53 UTC

Apache Tomcat 7 load-balancing and clustering

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Apache Tomcat, especially on clustering/load-balancing. The question I have is:

      Can I implement load-balancing of Apache Tomcat 7 instances using native solutions if any. I mean without putting either Apache HTTPD or other load-balancing hardware/software in front of my Apache Tomcat servers? The documentations I have read so far talk of installing Apache HTTPD and installing mod_jk on top of Apache HTTPD. The question here is, does Apache Tomcat not come with its own Apache HTTPD that I can use instead of installing another one infront of my Tomcat?

Thanks,
Fidelis

[http://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uploads/afdb/Photos/logo50_small.png]

Re: Apache Tomcat 7 load-balancing and clustering

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/04/2014 12:14, MNYANYI, FIDELIS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to Apache Tomcat, especially on
> clustering/load-balancing. The question I have is:
>
> Can I implement load-balancing of Apache Tomcat 7 instances using
> native solutions if any.

No.

> I mean without putting either Apache HTTPD
> or other load-balancing hardware/software in front of my Apache
> Tomcat servers?

Still no.

> The documentations I have read so far talk of
> installing Apache HTTPD and installing mod_jk on top of Apache HTTPD.
> The question here is, does Apache Tomcat not come with its own Apache
> HTTPD that I can use instead of installing another one infront of my
> Tomcat?

No. You'll need to install your own httpd instances.

Mark

Re: Apache Tomcat 7 load-balancing and clustering

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.
On Apr 17, 2014, at 7:14 AM, MNYANYI, FIDELIS <F....@AFDB.ORG> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to Apache Tomcat, especially on clustering/load-balancing. The question I have is:
>
>      Can I implement load-balancing of Apache Tomcat 7 instances using native solutions if any. I mean without putting either Apache HTTPD or other load-balancing hardware/software in front of my Apache Tomcat servers?

No.  Traditionally you need something to handle incoming requests and distribute them across the nodes in your Tomcat cluster (can provide other services as well, like sticky sessions, HTTPS termination and / or static resource hosting). This is commonly Apache HTTPD, but could be a variety of other things both software or hardware.

>  The documentations I have read so far talk of installing Apache HTTPD and installing mod_jk on top of Apache HTTPD. The question here is, does Apache Tomcat not come with its own Apache HTTPD that I can use instead of installing another one infront of my Tomcat?

No.  Nothing is bundled with Tomcat.  You need to pick what software / hardware to use as a load balancer.  Apache HTTPD is suggested in the documentation, but there are other perfectly valid options as well.

Dan

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.