Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andoni <an...@indigo.ie> on 2003/10/03 12:41:40 UTC

Printing with page breaks.

Hello,

I want my users to be able to print out a list of messages they receive with a single click on a print button.

Incorporating the messages into a single JSP is no problem but then when they print this there are no page breaks.

I have looked at the IETF's site at: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt where the RFC's all are text documents with Form Feed characters in them which produce page breaks.  I can replicate this functionality but unfortunately these page breaks don't work in IE.  It still prints these characters out as an unknown special character.

Can anybody tell me if they have seen a page anywhere on the web that prints on separate pages.  You can test if it does by choosing Print Preview from the file menu, you don't have to waist paper ;-)

My thanks for any help, even if it is just to confirm that this is not possible.

Regards,
Andoni.

Re: Printing with page breaks.

Posted by Graham Reeds <gr...@omnieng.co.uk>.

I want my users to be able to print out a list of messages they receive with
a single click on a print button.

Incorporating the messages into a single JSP is no problem but then when
they print this there are no page breaks.

I have looked at the IETF's site at: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt
where the RFC's all are text documents with Form Feed characters in them
which produce page breaks.  I can replicate this functionality but
unfortunately these page breaks don't work in IE.  It still prints these
characters out as an unknown special character.

Can anybody tell me if they have seen a page anywhere on the web that prints
on separate pages.  You can test if it does by choosing Print Preview from
the file menu, you don't have to waist paper ;-)

My thanks for any help, even if it is just to confirm that this is not
possible.

If you are printing html then you can use CSS to allow you to format a page
correctly for printing, while not affecting the layout of the visual page.
Brett Merkey has written articles on this.  Check out this too
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/goingtoprint/.  I haven't read it but it
may be helpful.

G.

Re: Printing with page breaks.