Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Ford <an...@icarus.demon.co.uk> on 2000/01/14 19:25:09 UTC

"Fast" reviewers for Apache Pocket Reference wanted

I have finally finished the technical review draft of the "Apache
Pocket Reference" for O'Reilly & Associates and need a few people to
review it before it goes to production in just over a week (I shall be
sending it off on 26 January).  The book covers over 200 directives in
stock Apache plus mod_perl, mod_ssl, Apache-SSL, IBM HTTPD and
Stronghold; it also covers mod_perl methods (the mod_perl section has
already been reviewed).  It will be just over 100 pages in a similar
format to the other O'Reilly Pocket References.

I would welcome any feedback on the book from those who know the
server well and who have the time to provide feedback in the short
time that I have available.  Please contact me if you can help.

Andrew
--
Andrew Ford,  Director       Ford & Mason Ltd           +44 1531 829900 (tel)
A.Ford@ford-mason.co.uk      South Wing, Compton House  +44 1531 829901 (fax)

Re: "Fast" reviewers for Apache Pocket Reference wanted

Posted by Chip Turner <ch...@zfx.com>.
Chip Turner <ch...@zfx.com> writes:

> Andrew Ford <an...@icarus.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I have finally finished the technical review draft of the "Apache
> > Pocket Reference" for O'Reilly & Associates and need a few people to
> > review it before it goes to production in just over a week (I shall be
> > sending it off on 26 January).  The book covers over 200 directives in
> > stock Apache plus mod_perl, mod_ssl, Apache-SSL, IBM HTTPD and
> > Stronghold; it also covers mod_perl methods (the mod_perl section has
> > already been reviewed).  It will be just over 100 pages in a similar
> > format to the other O'Reilly Pocket References.
> >
> > I would welcome any feedback on the book from those who know the
> > server well and who have the time to provide feedback in the short
> > time that I have available.  Please contact me if you can help.
>
> I'd be glad to help.  I'm even qualified!  Let me know if you still
> need assistance.  A good Apache book from ORA is desperately needed.

Well that's sufficiently embarassing :) Of course that was meant as a
private reply.  Sorry for the intrusion.  Time to drift back to silent
lurking...

Chip

--
Chip Turner                   chip@ZFx.com
                              Programmer, ZFx, Inc.  www.zfx.com
                              PGP key available at wwwkeys.us.pgp.net

Re: "Fast" reviewers for Apache Pocket Reference wanted

Posted by Andrew Ford <an...@icarus.demon.co.uk>.
eugene@anime.net (Eugene Lee) writes:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 07:57:02PM -0500, Chip Turner wrote:
> :
> :I thought the current ORA Apache book only covered 1.2?  Hrm, a quick
> :check on Amazon shows I'm quite wrong.  I must have missed something
> :somewhere :)
> :
> :I mostly live in mod_perl land though so for that limited purpose
> :there is a very, very good and up to date ORA book :)
>
> The latest ORA book only covers Apache 1.3.3.  You could get ahead of
> the game and cover all the way to 1.3.10.  :)

The draft Apache Pocket Reference covers Apache 1.3.9 and mod_perl
1.21 (plus mod_ssl 2.4.10 and the latest version of Apache-SSL) I've
been grabbing the CVS snapshots and tracking the user-visible changes,
so assuming 1.3.10 is released before the book goes to production it
will include those changes.

Andrew

Re: "Fast" reviewers for Apache Pocket Reference wanted

Posted by Chip Turner <ch...@zfx.com>.
"Bill Stoddard" <st...@raleigh.ibm.com> writes:

> >  A good Apache book from ORA is desperately needed.
> >
> > Chip
> >
> Heh, heh... Better hope Ben doesn't know where you live :-)

I meant it in the best of ways!

I thought the current ORA Apache book only covered 1.2?  Hrm, a quick
check on Amazon shows I'm quite wrong.  I must have missed something
somewhere :)

I mostly live in mod_perl land though so for that limited purpose
there is a very, very good and up to date ORA book :)

-Chip (still trying to swap feet in mouth)

                              PGP key available at wwwkeys.us.pgp.net

Re: "Fast" reviewers for Apache Pocket Reference wanted

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.

Posted by Chip Turner <ch...@zfx.com>.

                              PGP key available at wwwkeys.us.pgp.net