Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> on 2003/01/16 20:12:53 UTC

xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Greetings all,

Re: [Vote] Nomination for PMC member (was Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1 - expansion of PMC)

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Tinny Ng" <tn...@ca.ibm.com> writes:

>      I'd like to nominate PeiYong Zhang and Gareth Reakes for PMC Member.
> They both have been very active in developing Xerces-C++ and in the
> community over the past year.

Agreed and seconded!

+1 PeiYong
+1 Gareth

jas.

Re: [Vote] Nomination for PMC member (was Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1 - expansion of PMC)

Posted by Khaled Noaman <kn...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1 PeiYong
+1 Gareth

Khaled

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.
On 1/28/03 4:50 AM, "Tinny Ng" <tn...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>    I'd like to nominate PeiYong Zhang and Gareth Reakes for PMC Member.
> They both have been very active in developing Xerces-C++ and in the
> community over the past year.

+1 PeiYong
+1 Gareth

I'm glad we have two victims willing to do the bureaucratic stuff.

James.

[Vote] Nomination for PMC member (was Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1 - expansion of PMC)

Re: Semantics of string types

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Brian,

We end up doing what Xerces does, so we can consume each other's UTF-16
strings.  Xerces is a bit funny in that they always use unsigned short,
except on some platforms where the port was done by someone else.
Currently, Borland C++ is the only platform where wchar_t is used by
Xerces.

The algorithm really ought to be:

   If wchar_t is known to be UTF-16, then use it.  Otherwise, use unsigned
   short.

So, all WIN32/64 compilers should use wchar_t, as should AIX 32-bit.  I
don't know about any of the other Unix platforms.  Linux is an entirely
different story, as wchar_t can even be EBCDIC, depending on the platform.

The only reason that ifdef exists in Xalan is because I started to do a
Borland port (but gave up), and had to do that first.

We didn't ever figure the whole URIResolver thing, did we?  It's probably
too late to do that for the next release, but we ought to revive that
discussion and settle on something.

Dave

                      Brian Quinlan
                      <brian@sweetapp.         To:      xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
                      com>                     cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                                               Subject: Semantics of string types
                      01/25/2003 01:45
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to xalan-dev

I'd like to get my head around the various string types used in Xalan-C.

#ifdef XALAN_USE_NATIVE_WCHAR_T
XalanDOMChar is a wchar_t (is it interpreted as UTF-16 or as
UCS-2/UCS-4?)
#elsif
XalanDOMChar is a UTF-16 character
#endif

XMLCh is a wchar_t, how is that to be interpreted?

Cheers,
Brian

Semantics of string types

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
One more thing...

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
One more thing...

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
One more thing...

Forrest representation in XML PMC [was: Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1 - expansion of PMC]

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

>>>Please send your vote results to pmc@xml.apache.org
>>><ma...@xml.apache.org>.
>>
>>Jeff...? OK with you?
>

> Fine.  Ted's email mentioned voting, which confused me a bit..  +1 for
> Steven if that's what everyone means :)  I'd be happy to be a 2nd Forrest
> PMC person if two are desired (though 1 sounds sufficient for Forrest).

Hehe - no, that's not what I meant. I meant: "are _you_ willing to be
the second Forrest representative for the XML PMC", so that we can pass
the answer on to Ted and friends.

So it seems, apparently.

XML PMC: both Jeff Turner & myself will be happy to represent Forrest in
the XML PMC, as decided upon by the Forrest committers.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1 - expansion of PMC

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:12:21AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Ted Leung wrote:
>
> >In keeping with the proposal that I made last week, I'd like each of the
> >remaining subprojects to elect 1 or 2 persons as they see fit to
> >represent them on the XML PMC.  I would like to see these elections
> >completed by Friday, Jan 31.   If you need vote counting support please
> >send a note to pmc@xml.apache.org <ma...@xml.apache.org>.  The
> >remaining active projects are:
> >
> >Axkit
> >Batik
> >Crimson
> >Fop
> >Forrest
> >Xalan
> >Xerces-J
> >Xerces-C
> >Xerces-P
> >Xindice
> >
> >Please send your vote results to pmc@xml.apache.org
> ><ma...@xml.apache.org>.
>
> Jeff...? OK with you?

Fine.  Ted's email mentioned voting, which confused me a bit..  +1 for
Steven if that's what everyone means :)  I'd be happy to be a 2nd Forrest
PMC person if two are desired (though 1 sounds sufficient for Forrest).

--Jeff

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Ted Leung wrote:

> In keeping with the proposal that I made last week, I'd like each of the
> remaining subprojects to elect 1 or 2 persons as they see fit to
> represent them on the XML PMC.  I would like to see these elections
> completed by Friday, Jan 31.   If you need vote counting support please
> send a note to pmc@xml.apache.org <ma...@xml.apache.org>.  The
> remaining active projects are:
>
> Axkit
> Batik
> Crimson
> Fop
> Forrest
> Xalan
> Xerces-J
> Xerces-C
> Xerces-P
> Xindice
>
> Please send your vote results to pmc@xml.apache.org
> <ma...@xml.apache.org>.

Jeff...? OK with you?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1 - expansion of PMC

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
David,

It is precisely this lack of oversight that is driving the addition of
additional people to the PMC.  Unfortunately, I missed commons because I
used the nav menu of the site to remind me of all the projects.   Every
project remaining should be represented on the PMC.   If all the XML
committers are also commons committers, do we hold the election for commons
in general@ or commons-dev@?

Ted

Re: xml-commons website

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > There is very little help from the other xml projects on
> > xml-commons. It seems to completely slip people's minds
> > that they are also by default, committers on xml-commons.
> > The project is languishing, yet it has very important
> > components that need wider recognition and support.
>
> does xml-commons have a website? (i can't see a link from
> the xml front page.)
>
> i know that jakarta-commons seems to be thriving and as an insider, the
> jakarta-commons website is an important element in creating a sense of
> community and interest.

There is a minimal website at http://xml.apache.org/commons/

Mmmm, not sure why there was no link. Ted reported it recently.
Fixed now.

There is a process happening to improve it
 Re: draft website for xml-commons using Forrest
 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-commons-dev&m=104322189205667
and this is one place where we need help.

--David

xml-commons website [WAS Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1 - expansion of PMC]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 05:58 AM, David Crossley wrote:

<snip>

> There is very little help from the other xml projects on
> xml-commons. It seems to completely slip people's minds
> that they are also by default, committers on xml-commons.
> The project is languishing, yet it has very important
> components that need wider recognition and support.

does xml-commons have a website? (i can't see a link from the xml front
page.)

i know that jakarta-commons seems to be thriving and as an insider, the
jakarta-commons website is an important element in creating a sense of
community and interest.

- robert

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1 - expansion of PMC

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
One more thing...

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
One more thing...

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
One more thing...

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
One more thing...

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
I'm not subscribed any more, and it didn't bounce.  Feel free to  forward
it.

Ted
Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
At 13:53 17/01/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>>+1 for Steven as Forrest representative in the XML PMC.
>>>
>>>I would like to nominate Jeff for the other chair. But it's up to him to
>>>decide that.
>>
>>+1 for both
>
>+1 once more
>-marc=

+1 from me too of course
Bert

So much to do, so little time

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:

>>> I'd be happy to do my share for Forrest.
>>

>> +1 for Steven as Forrest representative in the XML PMC.
>>
>> I would like to nominate Jeff for the other chair. But it's up to him
>> to decide that.
>

> +1 for both

+1 once more
-marc=

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Ted Leung wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>>  From our discussion last December, it seems clear to me that most of
>>> the subprojects are not interested in becoming top-level projects.
>>> It also seems clear that people are interested broad based
>>> representation in the XML PMC.   I think that the best way to improve
>>> the issues related to project oversight is to have a series of small
>>> refactorings.  So here's my proposal for the first refactoring:
>>>
>>> We ask each subproject to nominate 1 (or 2) people from that project
>>> to be a part of the XML PMC.  From my experience, I think that it
>>> will be better to have 2 people rather than one in order to share
>>> workload, etc.
>>

>> I'd be happy to do my share for Forrest.
>

> +1 for Steven as Forrest representative in the XML PMC.
>
> I would like to nominate Jeff for the other chair. But it's up to him to
> decide that.

+1 for both

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

xml.apache.org refactoring #1 - expansion of PMC

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.
Sorry I got caught up in trying to get the JRockIt vm working and I missed
that part of your message.

The only java memory settings I have are set with
JAVA_OPTS="-Xms300m -Xmx300m" in my /etc/profile. They were used by Tomcat,
but I am not sure if Jetty (which I now use) picks up those settings.

As for OS memory settings all I have done is increase max_thread_proc to
10000.

What other settings would you recommend?

Cheers,
Lachlan Donald

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.
I have posted previously about my major problems with Xindice and
OutOfMemory errors with no resolution so I went off and did some research
into possible causes of the problem.

My application is a content management system written in PHP. Web pages are
built by retrieving xml from Xindice and transforming it to XHTML with
xslts. I know that having to fetch content every time a web page is loaded
is a bad idea performance wise, hence the future plans are to cache the
output and allow sites to be bulk published via ftp like blogger.com does
it.

So I have about 5 sites that are being driven from this system, all of these
sites generate pretty small amounts of traffic, I would say a maximum of
200-300 hits a day per site. My problem is that I now have daily (sometimes
bi-daily) Xindice crashes with OutOfMemory exceptions.

Initially I thought it might be a systems problem so I added some more
memory and tried a variety of different servlet containers, first Tomcat,
then Jetty, then I tried a variety of Sun JDK's (couldn't get JRockIt to
run). It crashed consistantly in all of them.

My theory is that something in the Xindice system is having problems with
concurrant access (e.g too many threads). The OutOfMemory exceptions occur
when Xindice has 40+ threads running and lots of concurrant requests. From
what I have read Java throws this error when it can't create any more
threads.

The other thing I have read a few places is that Xerces is quite prone to
crashing with the OutOfMemory error when it is trying to parse specific
malformed xml, but I am pretty sure all of my XML is well formed before it
even gets to Xerces.

Any suggestions of what I can do? I have been pulling my hairs out at a
rather rapid rate :)

Cheers,
Lachlan Donald

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Posted by Jörg Walter <eh...@ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de>.
Hi AxKitters...

On Thursday, 16. January 2003 22:19, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Ted Leung wrote:
> > We ask each subproject to nominate 1 (or 2) people from that project to
> > be a part of the XML PMC.  From my experience, I think that it will be
> > better to have 2 people rather than one in order to share workload, etc.
>
> Another task we need nominees for (or will let default to these people) is
> that of security contact for each the respective projects.
>
> What this implies is that you will act as a filter and coordinator to deal
> with the often time criticial, and not always entirely public, process of
> analysing a vulnerability; confirming it and working the likes of CERT to
> prepare an advisory. Calling in your peers when neccesary.

So I guess we have to choose, have we? I myself would do some stuff, but I
have no idea what a PMC is or what work it would be, so *shrug*. Doing
email-based support is well within my capabilities, time-wise, and my
connectivity problems have been sorted out as well, so I volunteer.
What for is a different matter. Any suggestions welcome, and an explanation
what a PMC is or where I find an explanation would be greatly appreciated. I
didn't find any info on xml.apache.org

--
CU
  Joerg

PGP Public Key at http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/~trouble/public_key.asc
PGP Key fingerprint = D34F 57C4 99D8 8F16 E16E  7779 CDDC 41A4 4C48 6F94

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Ted Leung wrote:

> We ask each subproject to nominate 1 (or 2) people from that project to
> be a part of the XML PMC.  From my experience, I think that it will be
> better to have 2 people rather than one in order to share workload, etc.

Another task we need nominees for (or will let default to these people) is
that of security contact for each the respective projects.

What this implies is that you will act as a filter and coordinator to deal
with the often time criticial, and not always entirely public, process of
analysing a vulnerability; confirming it and working the likes of CERT to
prepare an advisory. Calling in your peers when neccesary.

Should you have any questions about this role; Ben Laurie (ben@apache.org)
leads the ASF wide security coordination effort.

Dw

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.