Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Prem Devanbu <in...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/04 19:32:04 UTC

query from a researcher.

Dear Derby Developers.

First, if this query is mis-directed, please accept our humble apologies.
In this case, I deeply appreciate if I could be told where to send this
question.

In the interest of reducing your traffic, I respectfully suggest that
replies be sent to "instructor.devanbu@gmail.com"

We are a group of researchers at UC Davis who have been studying the
comparative benefits of static analysis tools (i.e.,, FindBugs, PMD, JLint)
and statistical defect prediction in helping find post-release defects. We
are doing this for 5 projects that have very good defect data reporting:
derby, lucene, wicket, OpenJPA and QPid.

In this context we would very much like to know if/how static analysis
tools are being used by committers in this project.

a) Do you use Findbugs, or Jlint, or PMD? (If NO, just skip the rest of the
questions)
b) Are these tools routinely run as part of the project build/commit
scripts (viz., somehow warnings are looked at by developers as part of the
routine building/commiting process)? Which ones?
c) Are there individual developers that use FindBugs/Jlint/PMD Routinely?
Who are you? Which tools?
d) Are there developers who use these tools sporadically? Which ones?
e) Is any  developer using statistical defect prediction?

Prem Devanbu,
Professor, Computer Science,
UC Davis.

Re: query from a researcher.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Hi Prem,

Some responses inline...

On 2/4/14 10:32 AM, Prem Devanbu wrote:
> Dear Derby Developers.
>

> First, if this query is mis-directed, please accept our humble
> apologies. In this case, I deeply appreciate if I could be told where
> to send this question.
>
> In the interest of reducing your traffic, I respectfully suggest that
> replies be sent to "instructor.devanbu@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>"
>
> We are a group of researchers at UC Davis who have been studying the
> comparative benefits of static analysis tools (i.e.,, FindBugs, PMD,
> JLint) and statistical defect prediction in helping find post-release
> defects. We are doing this for 5 projects that have very good defect
> data reporting: derby, lucene, wicket, OpenJPA and QPid.
>
> In this context we would very much like to know if/how static analysis
> tools are being used by committers in this project.
>
> a) Do you use Findbugs, or Jlint, or PMD? (If NO, just skip the rest
> of the questions)
The Oracle developers who contribute to Derby routinely run Findbugs. I
don't know whether other contributors are running static analysis tools.
> b) Are these tools routinely run as part of the project build/commit
> scripts (viz., somehow warnings are looked at by developers as part of
> the routine building/commiting process)? Which ones?
It appears to me that Oracle runs Findbugs every day on which changes
are made to the codeline.
> c) Are there individual developers that use FindBugs/Jlint/PMD
> Routinely? Who are you? Which tools?
See above.

Hope this helps,
-Rick