Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Chunky Gupta <ch...@vizury.com> on 2012/11/05 12:34:05 UTC

Alter table is giving error

Hi,

I am having a cluster setup on EC2 with Hadoop version 0.20.2 and Hive
version 0.8.1 (I configured everything) . I have created a table using :-

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE XXX ( YYY )PARTITIONED BY ( ZZZ )ROW FORMAT DELIMITED
FIELDS TERMINATED BY 'WWW' LOCATION 's3://my-location/data/';

Now I am trying to recover partition using :-

ALTER TABLE XXX RECOVER PARTITIONS;

but I am getting this error :- "FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:12 cannot
recognize input near 'XXX' 'RECOVER' 'PARTITIONS' in alter table statement"

Doing same steps on a cluster setup on EMR with Hadoop version 1.0.3 and
Hive version 0.8.1 (Configured by EMR), works fine.

So is this a version issue or am I missing some configuration changes in
EC2 setup ?
I am not able to find exact solution for this problem on internet. Please
help me.

Thanks,
Chunky.

Re: Alter table is giving error

Posted by Dean Wampler <de...@thinkbiganalytics.com>.
Right, your CREATE TABLE statement now points to your S3 location, so you
don't need to do anything else. However, queries will pull this data from
S3 every time, which will be a little slower and you'll incur a small
charge for reading from S3. However, parking data there is great when you
only need occasional access to it, not frequent access where using an HDFS
location is better.

However, as a side note, the message informs you that you can't use an S3
location in a LOAD DATA statement. So, if you ever define a
managed/internal table and want to populate it with S3 data, you'll have to
copy the data from S3 to your cluster first, then load it from there.

dean

--
*Dean Wampler, Ph.D.*
thinkbiganalytics.com