Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/24 02:45:19 UTC

Mevenide vs. M2Eclipse, Q for Eclipse/IAM

I googled around to try to find a comparison between Mevenide and the
alternatives, and didn't come up with much.

Can someone tell me the differences?

(I've spend some time with m2eclipse, and I'm *not* impressed).

Re: Mevenide vs. M2Eclipse, Q for Eclipse/IAM

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
it's just a matter of priorities and time, there's only 28 hours in a day ;)

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

RE: Mevenide vs. M2Eclipse, Q for Eclipse/IAM

Posted by John Coleman <jo...@eurobase-international.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Lutz <ma...@gmx.at>.

Posted by John Coleman <jo...@eurobase-international.com>.

Posted by Thomas Lutz <ma...@gmx.at>.
Hi !

Posted by VUB Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.
Hi Chris,

Chris wrote:
> I googled around to try to find a comparison between Mevenide and the
> alternatives, and didn't come up with much.
>
> Can someone tell me the differences?
>
> (I've spend some time with m2eclipse, and I'm *not* impressed).

best regards,

Stefan Seidel
software developer
________________________
VUB Printmedia GmbH
Chopinstraße 4
D-04103 Leipzig
Germany
tel.    +49 (341) 9 60 50 07
fax.    +49 (341) 9 60 50 92
mail.   sseidel@vub.de
web.    www.vub.de

HRB Köln 24015
UStID DE 122 649 251
GF Dr. Achim Preuss Neudorf,
Dr. Christian Preuss Neudorf

Re: Mevenide vs. M2Eclipse, Q for Eclipse/IAM

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.
The problem is when you don't have that time to time.

Once you implement one, its very hard for you to get time to implement
another one.
Specially since there is no such thing as fail-safe plugin installations.
Not to mention the learning curve each one requires.

IOW: For a business, its better to stick to one and learn it well. If a
standard (or Industry Quality) arrives, then adopt it and save money.

Regards,
Rodrigo

Posted by "Boeckli, Dominique" <do...@eds.com>.

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
mevenide for eclipse is for maven 1 only.

Milos

Posted by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by he...@free.fr.
Selon Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>:

> Nice work.
thank you

> However there is a deprecated indicator on the OSGi Bundles item (under
> Eclipse Developer).
> What exactly do you mean with it?
*I* don't mean anything: it was in the page before I changed it. Since I don't
know the topic, I let it as-is.
Feel free to fix the info if it is not accurate :)

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.
Nice work.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I corrected the page as Eugene doesn't like the m2eclipse being called
Tycho. Tycho is actually a set of Maven plugins written by Tom that
enable an OSGi toolchain that has been used in production for a long
time. I'll document that, but the eclipse integration itself is just
called m2eclipse.

On 24-Feb-08, at 10:04 AM, herve.boutemy@free.fr wrote:

> Since the question of choosing an Eclipse Integration is often
> asked, I
> just worked on the "Eclipse Integration" page from Maven Users Wiki:
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Eclipse+Integration
>
> I started a comparison matrix with basic project informations.
>
> This Wiki is public: feel free to improve the comparison.
>
> Selon Abel Muiño <am...@gmail.com>:
>

>> As for the comparison between maven integration solutions, I know
>> none but it
>> would be interesting if someone started one (like a google group
>> and some
>> pages on it). Since I'm involved with q4e, it would not be a fair
>> comparison
>> if I made it :-).
>>
>> I think it would be easy to have a "feature matrix" just if several
>> users of
>> the different solutions exchanged opinions on a list.
>>
>> As for cleaning the project from the shell... if you use eclipse,
>> you'll
>> need to refresh/rebuild the workspace. This is not a problem with the
>> plug-ins, but something that goes deep in the eclipse architecture.
>>

>> Rodrigo Madera wrote:
>>>
>>> Since you are on the topic, do you know if any of these have
>>> trouble if
>>> you
>>> go to a shell and do a `mvn clean` on the project?
>>>
>>> I have a plugin (dont remember its name) that integrates Maven
>>> nicely, but
>>> is allergic to the (sometimes needed) cleaning.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rodrigo

> -under-extreme-refactoring/<http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com/2007/09/02/candy-for-appfuse-will-be-under-extreme-refactoring/

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

-- Shakespeare

Posted by Abel Muiño <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.