Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/12/01 23:42:59 UTC

Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.7

Folks,

With hadoop-2.6 out it's time to think ahead.

As we've discussed in the past, 2.6 was the last release which supports JDK6.

I'm thinking it's best to try get 2.7 out in a few weeks (maybe by the
holidays) with just the switch to JDK7 (HADOOP-10530) and possibly
support for JDK-1.8 (as a runtime) via HADOOP-11090.

This way we can start with the stable base of 2.6 and switch over to
JDK7 to allow our downstream projects to use either for a short time
(hadoop-2.6 or hadoop-2.7).

I'll update the Roadmap wiki accordingly.

Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.7

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com>.
If there are not a lot of changes just to make Java 7 a requirement (I
understand it's basically pom changes and unit test failure and findbugs
fallouts), how about merging that with the next release and declare the
next release and on Java-7-only?

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> It would be nice to cut the branch for the next "feature" release (not just
> Java 7) in the first week of January, so we can get the RC out by the end
> of the month?
>
> Yesterday, this came up in an offline discussion on ATS. Given people can
> run 2.6 on Java 7, is there merit to doing 2.7 with the exact same bits
> targeting Java 7? I am okay with going through with it, as long as it
> doesn't delay the next feature release.
>
> Thoughts?

That's a good point.  I think it's important to point out that most of
our users are already on JDK7.  We shouldn't think of this decision as
adding support for something new, we should think about it as taking
something away (JDK6 support).  I think it's good that we are finally
moving away from supporting JDK6, but I'm not completely sure that we
need to devote a whole release to that.  Are there a lot of open JDK7
issues that would require a release to straighten out?

best,
Colin

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

A: http://five.sentenc.es

Re: Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.7

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

A: http://five.sentenc.es

Re: Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.7

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

A: http://five.sentenc.es

Re: Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.7

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

A: http://five.sentenc.es

Re: Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.7

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Sangjin/Karthik,

 How about planning on hadoop-2.8 by late Jan? Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

On Dec 2, 2014, at 11:09 AM, Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If 2.7 is being positioned as the JDK7-only release, then it would be good
> to know how 2.8 lines up in terms of timing. Our interest is landing the
> shared cache feature (YARN-1492)... Thanks.
>
> Sangjin
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for starting this thread, Arun.
>>
>> Your proposal seems reasonable to me. I suppose we would like new features
>> and improvements to go into 2.8 then? If yes, what time frame are we
>> looking at for 2.8? Looking at YARN, it would be nice to get a release with
>> shared-cache and a stable version of reservation work. I believe they are
>> well under way and should be ready in a few weeks.
>>
>> Regarding 2.7 release specifics, do you plan to create a branch off of
>> current branch-2.6 and update all issues marked fixed for 2.7 to be fixed
>> for 2.8?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Karthik
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With hadoop-2.6 out it's time to think ahead.
>>>
>>> As we've discussed in the past, 2.6 was the last release which supports
>>> JDK6.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking it's best to try get 2.7 out in a few weeks (maybe by the
>>> holidays) with just the switch to JDK7 (HADOOP-10530) and possibly
>>> support for JDK-1.8 (as a runtime) via HADOOP-11090.
>>>
>>> This way we can start with the stable base of 2.6 and switch over to
>>> JDK7 to allow our downstream projects to use either for a short time
>>> (hadoop-2.6 or hadoop-2.7).
>>>
>>> I'll update the Roadmap wiki accordingly.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>
>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/hdp/

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Sangjin/Karthik,

 How about planning on hadoop-2.8 by late Jan? Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

On Dec 2, 2014, at 11:09 AM, Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If 2.7 is being positioned as the JDK7-only release, then it would be good
> to know how 2.8 lines up in terms of timing. Our interest is landing the
> shared cache feature (YARN-1492)... Thanks.
>
> Sangjin
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for starting this thread, Arun.
>>
>> Your proposal seems reasonable to me. I suppose we would like new features
>> and improvements to go into 2.8 then? If yes, what time frame are we
>> looking at for 2.8? Looking at YARN, it would be nice to get a release with
>> shared-cache and a stable version of reservation work. I believe they are
>> well under way and should be ready in a few weeks.
>>
>> Regarding 2.7 release specifics, do you plan to create a branch off of
>> current branch-2.6 and update all issues marked fixed for 2.7 to be fixed
>> for 2.8?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Karthik
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With hadoop-2.6 out it's time to think ahead.
>>>
>>> As we've discussed in the past, 2.6 was the last release which supports
>>> JDK6.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking it's best to try get 2.7 out in a few weeks (maybe by the
>>> holidays) with just the switch to JDK7 (HADOOP-10530) and possibly
>>> support for JDK-1.8 (as a runtime) via HADOOP-11090.
>>>
>>> This way we can start with the stable base of 2.6 and switch over to
>>> JDK7 to allow our downstream projects to use either for a short time
>>> (hadoop-2.6 or hadoop-2.7).
>>>
>>> I'll update the Roadmap wiki accordingly.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>
>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/hdp/

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Sangjin/Karthik,

 How about planning on hadoop-2.8 by late Jan? Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

On Dec 2, 2014, at 11:09 AM, Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If 2.7 is being positioned as the JDK7-only release, then it would be good
> to know how 2.8 lines up in terms of timing. Our interest is landing the
> shared cache feature (YARN-1492)... Thanks.
>
> Sangjin
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for starting this thread, Arun.
>>
>> Your proposal seems reasonable to me. I suppose we would like new features
>> and improvements to go into 2.8 then? If yes, what time frame are we
>> looking at for 2.8? Looking at YARN, it would be nice to get a release with
>> shared-cache and a stable version of reservation work. I believe they are
>> well under way and should be ready in a few weeks.
>>
>> Regarding 2.7 release specifics, do you plan to create a branch off of
>> current branch-2.6 and update all issues marked fixed for 2.7 to be fixed
>> for 2.8?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Karthik
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With hadoop-2.6 out it's time to think ahead.
>>>
>>> As we've discussed in the past, 2.6 was the last release which supports
>>> JDK6.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking it's best to try get 2.7 out in a few weeks (maybe by the
>>> holidays) with just the switch to JDK7 (HADOOP-10530) and possibly
>>> support for JDK-1.8 (as a runtime) via HADOOP-11090.
>>>
>>> This way we can start with the stable base of 2.6 and switch over to
>>> JDK7 to allow our downstream projects to use either for a short time
>>> (hadoop-2.6 or hadoop-2.7).
>>>
>>> I'll update the Roadmap wiki accordingly.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>
>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/hdp/

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Sangjin/Karthik,

 How about planning on hadoop-2.8 by late Jan? Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

On Dec 2, 2014, at 11:09 AM, Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If 2.7 is being positioned as the JDK7-only release, then it would be good
> to know how 2.8 lines up in terms of timing. Our interest is landing the
> shared cache feature (YARN-1492)... Thanks.
>
> Sangjin
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for starting this thread, Arun.
>>
>> Your proposal seems reasonable to me. I suppose we would like new features
>> and improvements to go into 2.8 then? If yes, what time frame are we
>> looking at for 2.8? Looking at YARN, it would be nice to get a release with
>> shared-cache and a stable version of reservation work. I believe they are
>> well under way and should be ready in a few weeks.
>>
>> Regarding 2.7 release specifics, do you plan to create a branch off of
>> current branch-2.6 and update all issues marked fixed for 2.7 to be fixed
>> for 2.8?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Karthik
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With hadoop-2.6 out it's time to think ahead.
>>>
>>> As we've discussed in the past, 2.6 was the last release which supports
>>> JDK6.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking it's best to try get 2.7 out in a few weeks (maybe by the
>>> holidays) with just the switch to JDK7 (HADOOP-10530) and possibly
>>> support for JDK-1.8 (as a runtime) via HADOOP-11090.
>>>
>>> This way we can start with the stable base of 2.6 and switch over to
>>> JDK7 to allow our downstream projects to use either for a short time
>>> (hadoop-2.6 or hadoop-2.7).
>>>
>>> I'll update the Roadmap wiki accordingly.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>
>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/hdp/