Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Steven Raemaekers <s....@sig.eu> on 2011/09/15 18:57:56 UTC

Download statistics question

Hi,

My name is Steven and I'm a PhD student in software engineering. I'm writing an article on frequency of use of a couple of open source libraries, and I want to get the download statistics for a couple of Apache projects. There are daily and monthly statistics on the page http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/daily.html, but I'm interested in the total number of downloads from the start of each project. On the same page I also saw that Vadim Gritsenko is the maintainer of the download statistics page, so I suppose that Vadim will be the best person to answer my question.

I'm interested in the total number of downloads from the start of these projects:

- log4j
- slf4j
- TestNG
- Struts
- OpenJPA

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven

Re: Download statistics question

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately the answer is that we don't know.

A side effect of the huge number of mirrors we have is that we don't
know how much is downloaded from each mirror.

Vadim's site shows the number of downloads from Apache, but beyond
knowing the download stats for legacy versions (which don't go to the
mirrors), this won't tell you a huge amount as we discourage
downloading directly from Apache.

Hen