Posted to xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2004/10/20 09:20:26 UTC

SVN migration (Was: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache)

Neil Graham wrote:

> > So would this be an appropriate time to move the
> > xml-commons repository to SVN?
>
> Well, I don't know about you, but I generally prefer to ease my way into
> new software tools, rather than dive right into advanced usage.  So,
> speaking for myself, I'd prefer to wait for a period of calm, where the
> move to SVN would be the only change, rather than combine the move to SVN
> with an update to most of the code in the xml-commons repository and
> whatever tinkering with branches that this also might end up implying.

I was not intending that the two get tangled.
Either do the move before or after.

Just that when "legal delays" were mentioned,
i thought that there would be plenty of time.

Afterwards is fine by me. I was responding to the
infrastructure@a.o request to consider moving soon.

> I'd also be curious to know what proportion of Apache projects have
> migrated to SVN so far?  There would be a significantly higher amount of
> churn caused to the community by an SVN migration than was caused by our
> earlier Jira migration; so I'd prefer to go down a well-trod path than be
> on the bleeding edge in this particular instance.

Apache Forrest was one of the early ones to move.
The transition was a breeze and we love it now.
We are mainly using the trunk, with small experimental
branches which we merge early. Different to xml-commons.

--
David Crossley

Re: SVN migration (Was: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Neil Graham wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > I was not intending that the two get tangled.
> > Either do the move before or after.
> >
> > Just that when "legal delays" were mentioned,
> > i thought that there would be plenty of time.
>
> Can we be optimistic and hope not?  :)

Okay then, just this once :-)

> > Afterwards is fine by me. I was responding to the
> > infrastructure@a.o request to consider moving soon.
>
> Guess this was only sent to folks subscribed to infrastructure@; I haven't
> seen it on any list I'm subscribed to anyway. ...

Not only infrastructure, here too. There were a couple of
mentions earlier in the initial thread. Here is one:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-commons-dev&m=109775743126537

I agree with your sentiment though - infra@ should
announce more widely the general desire to move to SVN.

> ... Good to know that they
> consider this set-up stable now; but if they really want to encourage
> projects to migrate, perhaps it might not be a bad idea to (a) let them
> know directly and (b) sell them on how worthwhile the pain will be.  I'm
> sure the pain's worthwhile from my perspective; I'd just rather wait until
> we're sure we're in a period of calm than embark on something now only to
> discover next week that things will get complicated.

We definitely do not want to risk holding up the
JAXP update.

--David

Posted by Neil Graham <ne...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi David,

David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote on 10/20/2004 03:20:26 AM:

> Neil Graham wrote:
> > >
> > > So would this be an appropriate time to move the
> > > xml-commons repository to SVN?
> >
> > Well, I don't know about you, but I generally prefer to ease my way
into
> > new software tools, rather than dive right into advanced usage.  So,
> > speaking for myself, I'd prefer to wait for a period of calm, where
the
> > move to SVN would be the only change, rather than combine the move to
SVN
> > with an update to most of the code in the xml-commons repository and
> > whatever tinkering with branches that this also might end up implying.
>
> I was not intending that the two get tangled.
> Either do the move before or after.
>
> Just that when "legal delays" were mentioned,
> i thought that there would be plenty of time.

Can we be optimistic and hope not?  :)

> Afterwards is fine by me. I was responding to the
> infrastructure@a.o request to consider moving soon.

Guess this was only sent to folks subscribed to infrastructure@; I haven't
seen it on any list I'm subscribed to anyway.  Good to know that they