Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jules Gosnell <ju...@mortbay.com> on 2002/06/14 00:45:30 UTC

Re: [JBoss-user] jboss, cocoon, jetty

Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
>   Hi
>
>   I've managed to install and configure different setups:
>   1) jetty+cocoon, fast and clean. Startup takes no time and pages take
>   only 10 to 20 milliseconds to execute
>   2) jboss/jetty+cocoon, huge and slow. Statup takes two minutes, and
>   pages take whole seconds to execute.
>
>   jetty+cocoon standalone talking to jboss is a great setup, but
>   security seem to be much tougher to configure if at all possible (JAAS
>   security).
>
>   Plus I have to install xerces in jboss/lib and add it into jboss's
>   classpath otherwise I get
>   "SAX2 driver class org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser not found"
>
>   Anybody know anything or has any experience with that setup?
>   Why is jboss/jetty+cocoon so painfully slowwww?
>   Why isn't jboss's crimson.jar and jaxp.jar sufficient as a xml parser???
>
>   emmanuel charpentier
>
>   gnu-linux/debian, j2sdk1.3

I noticed that Cocoon was slow in JBoss/Jetty as well. I suspect that it
is simply the VM having to cope with a lot more than just Jetty & JBoss.
However, if this is the case, then it is a good argument against
collapsing all your tiers into one process, however you WILL pay on the
serialisation between your presentation and business tiers. (what VM are
you using?) Unfortunately, all the work I have done has been on
colocating these tiers, although it should be possible to seperate them
and maintain the JAAS functionality - you will need to talk to Scott on
jboss-user and Greg on jetty-discuss...

Alternatively it could be something about the integration code or Jetty
that is making it slower. To remove this variable I would try running it
under standalone Tomcat and JBoss/Tomcat. If Tomcat does not slow down
then us Jetty guys will have to get our profiling hats on fast....

As for the XML parser problem, I noticed this. I just replaced the
crimson.jar that comes in JBoss with a xerces jar from the java_xml_pack
- worked fine. I think that we are just shipping with a slightly ancient
parser, but didn't follow it up any further... - any takers ?

Let me know if you try the same with Tomcat - I would be very interested
to hear the results...

Jules