Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 1999/06/10 21:33:39 UTC

Re: The lack of poll()

I am actually in the middle of writing the network code for APR on
Windows.  Windows also does not have poll, which is why I am responding to
this message.  I have an ap_poll implementation using select already
written.  When I finish the code on Windows, I will move the function over
to Unix and #ifdef it.  When Apache-2.0 is synch'ed for the last time, and
we can put apr under it, this problem goes away.

Any problem with that solution?

Ryan

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:

> So, I've _finally_ found the time to start looking at Apache 2.0. But, I
> fall at the first hurdle. FreeBSD 2.2.8, my development platform of
> circumstance, if not choice (probably, given a free hand, that would be
> FreeBSD 3.2), doesn't support poll().
>
> >From what I've seen so far, I can easily work around that with select(),
> but how do we want to play this, really?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

>      - Indira Gandhi

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd

Re: The lack of poll()

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
When is going to be a while.  You will be best off kludg'ing in select
stuff.  When I said synch'ed for the last time, I was probbaly simplifying
things too much.  Obviously, we aren't going to stop keeping the code from
Apache-1.3 and Apache-2.0 in synch, but we will have a very hard time
doing that with one big patch after 2.0 starts using APR.  It will be much
easier to just commit each patch twice, one in 1.3 and once in 2.0.  This
is because there will be too many differences in the code.

Re: The lack of poll()

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Sounds good. But one question: when? Now that I have a window, I don't
> want to waste it, so if its a way off, I may just kludge some select
> stuff in for now.

kludge some select stuff in.  If you've got time to work it's better for
you to do something productive than wait for any sort of completion of any
portable runtime project.  No offense Ryan, but it has been 14 months
since my pthreads port of Apache, and I'm just tired of waiting for the
mythical uber portable runtime that will save the day.

Or take a look at the eventlib which comes with bind 8.x -- I used it in
that prototype I did a few weeks ago.  It's a clean library, and
select/poll differences can be hidden behind it.

Dean

Re: The lack of poll()

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.