Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dmitrijs Reinmanis <dm...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/06 09:38:28 UTC

Combining svn log 'search' and 'limit'

Hello!

I want to make simple tool, for viewing svn log results and without search
everything works well. Now I want to implement search, and I have some
problems with search and limit combination. Without limit search works
well, but with limit result is totally unpredictable. For example, if I
enter "limit 30", it may return 28 records for revision "121:1" and 7
records for revision "86:1".

Why it is working so strange and what you can suggest, to make correct
pagination for svn log and search combination?

Re: Combining svn log 'search' and 'limit'

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 06.11.2017 10:38, Dmitrijs Reinmanis wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to make simple tool, for viewing svn log results and without
> search everything works well. Now I want to implement search, and I
> have some problems with search and limit combination. Without limit
> search works well, but with limit result is totally unpredictable. For
> example, if I enter "limit 30", it may return 28 records for revision
> "121:1" and 7 records for revision "86:1".
>
> Why it is working so strange and what you can suggest, to make correct
> pagination for svn log and search combination?

The --search option filters within --limit results, not the other way
around. Specifically, if you set --limit to 30, you'll get 30 results;
then --search will return only the results that match from within those 30.

If I recall correctly, --search is completely client-side (but I may be
wrong ... I haven't checked that code recently).

-- Brane