Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org> on 2021/09/13 07:51:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Purpose of release notes

Hi devs,

When working on the release notes for the upcoming 1.14.0[1] release I
spotted inconsistencies in where we add release-notes. Therefore I
wanted to ask how do we see the purpose of this page. So far the first
paragraph states:

    These release notes discuss important aspects, such as
    configuration, behavior, or dependencies, that changed between
    Flink 1.x and Flink 1.y. Please read these notes carefully if you
    are planning to upgrade your Flink version to 1.y.

Which would mean we should not put pure announcements for new feature
there (we can still do that in the announcement blogpost, imo). However,
we do that from time to time (not to point fingers, just some examples):
FLINK-20731(pulsar source), FLINK-21924 (fine grained reasource
management), FLINK-22670 (hybrid source) ...

Moreover, I think it is good to remind everyone that the target group
for this page is our user base. I think Stephan put it quite well when
reviewing the PR for 1.14.0 release-notes:

    This is still too much written in a "here is what we did"
    perspective, rather than from the perspective of "what does the user
    need to know about this change".

Can I assume the introduction to the page is still correct and thus e.g.
remove the FLINK-20731 from there?

Best,

Dawid

[1] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/17182

Re: [DISCUSS] Purpose of release notes

Posted by Yangze Guo <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks Dawid for the clarification.

Best,
Yangze Guo

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
Thanks for bringing this back to the list.

The inconsistencies are probably due to different expectations of what
"release notes" in general cover (beyond Flink). I appreciate to find a
feature list as part of the release notes, but that can also be
accomplished by linking to a more comprehensive resource from said top
paragraph (something like "see blog for more information").

Also +1 for user centric descriptions.

Thomas