Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Faisal Khan <fa...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/01 20:38:52 UTC

Task tracker shutdown given inactivity

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to configure Hadoop's TaskTracker in a way that it
shutdown itself once being idle (no task to run) for a configurable
amount of time?  I guess it
is not possible in current implementation. This feature is very useful
in situations (like of ours) where a MapReduce jobs can be scheduled
by a batch processing
system.  In other words, the ability to schedule and run a single
MapReduce job on a computing cluster that is also handling
non-MapReduce job and vacating
resources as soon as possible is very desirable for our high
throughput community.

Please let me know If you think this is already possible in Hadoop.
Otherwise, we would be happy to work on contributing a patch to
be included in  Hadoop to server this purpose.

Thanks for your help.

--
Faisal
Condor Project

Re: Task tracker shutdown given inactivity

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.
You can  also decommission taskTrackers when you know that you do not need
it anymore.:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5643

thanks,
dhruba