Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Groboclown <gr...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/06 22:52:55 UTC

New repository task

I've been out of the Ant developer discussions for about two or three
months now (way too much going on), and I'm trying to get caught up on
the repository task.

One thing I can't find is why this is being put into ant core and not
an optional task.  Could anyone help me out here?  Thanks.

--
-Matt
"So whatever you do, don't be bored, this is

Re: New repository task

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Russell Gold <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:35:06 -0800 (PST), Matt Benson
> <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > tasks).  Unless I have misunderstood it
> dependencies
> > is more Maven-centric than <repository> so I feel
[SNIP]
> I believe that you did misunderstand it. The
> <dependencies> task is
> not Maven-centric. It simply borrowed a lot of
> concepts as a starting
> point, but those were never essential to its
> definition.

My apologies.  I hope the repository task ends up in a
form that is satisfactory to you as well.

-Matt

Re: New repository task

Posted by Russell Gold <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: New repository task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> So I suppose that chain of events would suggest that the answer to
> your question is "yes", though "finally understood" makes the Ant
> committers sound like a bunch of dinosaurs.  ;)
>
>> No, I'm not saying that.
>>
> Were you answering your own question there?

Nope, I probably didn't want to make it sounds as if the Ant
committers were a bunch dinosaurs ;-)

Stefan

Re: New repository task

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Matt Benson
(edited for brevity)

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=109882328509244&w=2

> So you are saying that Ant committers have finally
> understood that
> dependency management should be a core issue to Ant?

When Russell first brought his dependencies task to
the table, I reiterated the general policy regarding
the introduction of new tasks, especially where they
interacted with software other than Ant (aka optional
tasks).  Unless I have misunderstood it dependencies
is more Maven-centric than <repository> so I feel that
position was applicable.  DD agreed that this had been
a guiding principle but asserted that with time would
come the need for a task of this particular type and
lo, Steve began working on his task presumably within
the next two months.  So I suppose that chain of
events would suggest that the answer to your question
is "yes", though "finally understood" makes the Ant
committers sound like a bunch of dinosaurs.  ;)

> No, I'm not saying that.

Were you answering your own question there?

> I do agree that any mechanism of dependency
> downloads could make
> antlib handling easier.

Feels like some interesting possibilities, yes.

-Matt

Re: New repository task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: New repository task