Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2007/08/27 20:16:52 UTC

*SEPTEMBER* Board Reports

I know that today is still August 27, but since this month's reports were
due late because of the Board calendar, September's reports are just around
the corner, not a month away.  So those projects due in September should
start getting ready now.

	--- Noel

Re: *SEPTEMBER* Board Reports

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi Bruce..  ActiveMQ does not need to report again until October.

On 8/27/07, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We need to file a report for September. Please contribute any action
> items that should be included.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: *SEPTEMBER* Board Reports

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 8/27/07, Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> ActiveMQ can be taken off that list, no longer under incubation :-)

A very good point. How do we go about getting AMQ removed from the list?

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: *SEPTEMBER* Board Reports

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.

Fwd: *SEPTEMBER* Board Reports

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: The meta-data problem, redux -- call for help

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hey,

On 9/10/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> > Would it make sense to add a started/graduated/retired projects list
> > to the report template?  That might make it easier to follow the
> > status transitions going on all the time.
>
> That is already part of the STATUS document.  The problem is that we have
> all sorts of data stored in way too many places, constantly getting out of
> synch.  This is an issue we really need to address, and I've asked for
> suggestions.

I tried adding the projects in advance for a whole year about a year
ago.  That backfired as Jukka noticed today, when he had to largely
updated my earlier work, which became outdated as projects move
around.  I was hoping projects or their mentors would take it upon
themselves to update references to themselves when they graduate or
retire.  That would decentralize maintenance.  But it doesn't seem to
be happening.

My main obstacle to helping maintain this metadata is the slowness of
the wiki.  I don't mind helping out, including for projects I don't
mentor or am otherwise involved with.  I do mind the 5-10+ second wait
on every wiki page save.  Can we do something more responsive?

Yoav

Re: The meta-data problem, redux -- call for help

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> According to incubator-info.txt:
>
>   March, June, September, December
>   --------------------------------
>       ADF Faces

that's trinidad, and already part of the MyFaces project.
Can you remove the entry ?

-Matthias

>       Kabuki
>       UIMA
>
> Kabuki is long closed; log4php, River and TripleSoup aren't even listed, nor
> are Sanselan and Sling.  In other words, this is a mess.
>
> > Would it make sense to add a started/graduated/retired projects list
> > to the report template?  That might make it easier to follow the
> > status transitions going on all the time.
>
> That is already part of the STATUS document.  The problem is that we have
> all sorts of data stored in way too many places, constantly getting out of
> synch.  This is an issue we really need to address, and I've asked for
> suggestions.
>
>         --- Noel

Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: The meta-data problem, redux -- call for help

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On 9/10/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> That is already part of the STATUS document.  The problem is that we have
> all sorts of data stored in way too many places, constantly getting out of
> synch.  This is an issue we really need to address, and I've asked for
> suggestions.

Sounds like a nifty little script could go a long way in automating a lot of
these checks and spot the discrepancies. I don't mind writing that but
what's unclear to me is which source is authoritative for which information.
Basically what we're interested in knowing is whether the project is
currently an active, retired or graduated podling and when it should report,
right?

For example the date of the first check-in of the project status document
could be used as reference and the reporting months be calculated from this.
Newly created podling could be detected from the content of the incubator
svn repository. I don't know what could help in finding out whether a
project is active or retired but I'm sure we can find something.

>From then we could either generate a short report or even update the wiki
automatically.

What do you think, would that be doable and would it help?

Cheers,
Matthieu

        --- Noel

Re: The meta-data problem, redux -- call for help

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
"Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> writes:

> That is already part of the STATUS document.  The problem is that we have
> all sorts of data stored in way too many places, constantly getting out of
> synch.  This is an issue we really need to address, and I've asked for
> suggestions.

Do we have a list of the data that we need to keep in synch?

Couldn't we keep all of this data in a status file for each project?
Then the status pages and, well, anything else, could just parse that
document?

I'm still a fan of flat files in svn that can be parsed by anyone or
anything, but that's me.  If people would rather have it in a wiki or
database, then go ahead.

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁          cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905

Re: The meta-data problem, redux -- call for help

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
[...]
> According to incubator-info.txt:
>
>   March, June, September, December
>   --------------------------------
>       ADF Faces
>       Kabuki
>       UIMA
>
> Kabuki is long closed; log4php, River and TripleSoup aren't even listed, nor
> are Sanselan and Sling.  In other words, this is a mess.

According to the Wiki, UIMA reports in October.  This seems right
as we did report in July.  I can't fix incubator-info.txt, it
requires member permissions to even read.

Wouldn't it make sense to keep the reporting schedule in a DB or
other kind of structured data source, and auto-generate a web page
from it?  It's nice that we can change these things on the Wiki,
but the resulting confusion seems to outweigh the benefit.

--Thilo

The meta-data problem, redux -- call for help

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:

> I just went through the September wiki page and had to replace almost
> all placeholder entries as out of sync with the reporting schedule.

Thanks.  My pet peeve (redundant metadata) raises its ugly head again.

Re: *SEPTEMBER* Board Reports

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 8/27/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> I know that today is still August 27, but since this month's reports were
> due late because of the Board calendar, September's reports are just around
> the corner, not a month away.  So those projects due in September should
> start getting ready now.

I just went through the September wiki page and had to replace almost
all placeholder entries as out of sync with the reporting schedule.

To the best of my knowledge (and currently reflected on the wiki page)
the projects that should report this month are log4php, River, and
TripleSoup. The newly started projects Sanselan and Sling should
probably also report. Anything I'm missing?

Would it make sense to add a started/graduated/retired projects list
to the report template? That might make it easier to follow the status
transitions going on all the time.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: *SEPTEMBER* Board Reports

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
I'll be posting it tomorrow, so please review the current reports.

	--- Noel