Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by pavithran <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/16 15:25:00 UTC

shindig for enterprise

Hi list ,
I am pavithran from paris .
I am assigned the task of improving a very poorly built social n/w
site ( LOL its on plone)

I was given freedom to use whatever technologies I wish to :

Hence I kept searching and as you know open social is the best answer !

Hence I need to create a open social container .. and wow shindig
offers just that but I am well aware of the fact that I need to do
what "partuza" did using shindig .

But to convince my enterprise, I need to show that shindig is "stable"
and is "well" supported. I tried explaining the support from open
source projects but unfortunately as an enterprise they prefer a
company which could be responsible for shindig's stability /support.

Is there a company which offers support for shindig ?
Is there a person who can offer support for shindig on behalf of a
company who can offer support for shindig .. something sort of
contract ?

The company is so worried about support that it would rather have a
drupal+profile or other modules as a SNS .. for the SOLE reason that
drupal has "huge" support :(

Please do advise.

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri
www.pavithran.org

Re: shindig for enterprise

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:06 AM, pavithran <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <discussion-enterprise-talk />

it's the same discussion that has been repeated for millions of times all
over the world in companies large and small, and it's also the reason why
companies like RedHat continue to do good business so it's not all bad I
suppose :) Let us know if we can provide any more information that could
help & I'm Globant would be happy to assist you in making a good story on
the business side.

> Sorry for this message on dev list . Well I have tried partuza.nl and
> right now am installing shindig + partuza on my debian lenny . I will
> get back with real dev questions .

No worries, this is definitely community relevant and you won't be the only
person who goes through this.

> @chris: partuza is wonderfull.. thanks to you and your team for making
> it rock :)

Glad you found it useful :)

   -- Chris

RE: shindig for enterprise

Posted by "Terlecki, Stephen" <st...@lmco.com>.
I don't know if this helps at all, or if you plan on continuing the open source fight in your company, but Gartner predicts by 2012, about 80% of software within the enterprise will contain elements of open source.  Here is the slightly older article, but relevant none the less: http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/02/04/gartner-open-source-to-be-widely-popular-by-2012.

The comment about not having support for open source is just misinformation, I think.  There are a number of companies that offer support for open source software, Red Hat just being a larger more well known one.  JBoss and SpringSource are two big names that offer support services for their open source software, as well as companies like OpenLogic that offer support for a wide array of open source products.

Like commercial software, open source software needs to be evaluated to fit the needs of the business, but ignoring it because it doesn't have an entrenched corporate logo behind it is a mistake IMHO.

Sorry about the long editorial, but I hear this argument far too often and fears over open source software are generally misplaced.

Good luck.

Steve T.

Posted by pavithran <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: shindig for enterprise

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
To expand on this:

Shindig is used in production and reaches over 800 million people, and is
used by the likes of Yahoo, MySpace, Google and over 30 other social sites
of all kinds; It's also being deployed in enterprise environments more and
more by companies like Lockheed Martin, Atlassian, and IBM is working on it
too.

So as far as stability goes, I think we have the track record to prove this
is a critical part of the social web's infrastructure and well maintained.

If you want to have a company that can assist you, provide support and help
development, several large companies have had great experience with Globant
(see Bruno's email below), so they'd be a great choice.

   -- Chris

Re: shindig for enterprise

Posted by pavithran <pa...@gmail.com>.
2009/9/16 Ropu <ro...@gmail.com>:
> Globant is the leading IT Service provider from LatinAmerica, and we have a
> big Practice around OpenSocial and Shindig.
>
> We've contributed to shindig code base and we did several integrations with
> different containes, here you have more info about it
> http://www.globant.com/Content/Services/OpenSocial/

Thank you ropu , I iwll be mailing you soon after a discussion with my
superiors. \
I am glad that there is someone who is offering commercial support for
shindig , yeah if I was a company that would be the right thing to do
at the moment because open social adoption is growing at a very fast
pace.

Regards,
Pavithran

--