Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "N. Alex Rupp" <no...@coredevelopers.net> on 2003/08/06 22:34:33 UTC

[FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions

Hello, everyone

Dain, Jeremy and I are putting together a Frequently Asked Questions page
and I'd be happy to include any of your questions about Geronimo.

So please, feel free to reply to this thread with whatever questions you
might have.  We'll do our best to get them organized and online in the next
day or so.

Best,
--
N. Alex Rupp (norm@coredevelopers.net)

Re: [FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 06:21:12PM -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> LOL  Yes.  Actually.  I wrote several such things, and with permission, I'll
> be happy to post or contribute.  I'm not an official member of this
> incubation team, but Geir and James both have access to my writings, and can
> use them as desired (or not).

"member of this incubation team" is anybody who wishes to participate. You
don't need any special dispensation. As Andy would say, "just do it!" :-)

Or, in short, you're already on it...

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:13:12AM +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
> I think you'd wan't some sensible answer to emotions like that, somewhere on
> a prominent webpage. Just so it's easy to tell people, "read this page, it
> explains our views, now stop shouting please".

Agreed.

> I have one actual question: didn't anyone think about it making sense to
> write up some stuff about that before making an announcement on sites like
> slashdot?
> :D <ducks/>

Heh. Various circumstances made it difficult to do that. It certainly would
have been much nicer to roll out with a lot of preparation, but it just
wasn't doable.

The huge amount of interest also caught everybody by surprise. I certainly
didn't expect to see about a hundred people respond in the first day or two.
(Woah!)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 11:21  pm, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> The private e-mail I got this afternoon pointing me at geronimo was
>> along the line of "so this is the @#%*(@ so-called OS organisation
>> you're a %@!)#(!) part of; ripping of and $%(^@& destroying JBoss.
>
>> I think you'd wan't some sensible answer to emotions like that,
>> somewhere on a prominent webpage.
>
>> I have one actual question: didn't anyone think about it making sense
>> to write up some stuff about that before making an announcement on
>> sites like slashdot?
>
> LOL  Yes.  Actually.  I wrote several such things, and with
> permission, I'll
> be happy to post or contribute.

Permission granted!

> I'm not an official member of this
> incubation team, but Geir and James both have access to my writings,
> and can
> use them as desired (or not).

My favourite quote in the whole discussion so far was this by you
Noel...

J2EE
is fundamentally an umbrella specification.  It consists of a whole set
of
other specs.  However, J2EE compatibility is based upon, as I
understand it,
a compatibility suite spanning the umbrella.

It isn't sufficient to have Three Rings for the Elven-kings in WS,
Seven for
the Dwarf-lords in their halls of XML, Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to
Jakarta.  You still need One Ring, not to rule them all, but to find
them
and bind them into a comprehensive release that can past the Dark Lord's
TCK.

:)

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

RE: [FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> The private e-mail I got this afternoon pointing me at geronimo was
> along the line of "so this is the @#%*(@ so-called OS organisation
> you're a %@!)#(!) part of; ripping of and $%(^@& destroying JBoss.

> I think you'd wan't some sensible answer to emotions like that,
> somewhere on a prominent webpage.

> I have one actual question: didn't anyone think about it making sense
> to write up some stuff about that before making an announcement on
> sites like slashdot?

LOL  Yes.  Actually.  I wrote several such things, and with permission, I'll
be happy to post or contribute.  I'm not an official member of this
incubation team, but Geir and James both have access to my writings, and can
use them as desired (or not).

	--- Noel

Re: [FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
The private e-mail I got this afternoon pointing me at geronimo was
along the line of
"so this is the @#%*(@ so-called OS organisation you're a %@!)#(!) part
of; ripping
of and $%(^@& destroying JBoss. For @#*(#$ sake, why %)@)(!* %*(@*##
another open source project like that???". (edited for content)

I think you'd wan't some sensible answer to emotions like that,
somewhere on a
prominent webpage. Just so it's easy to tell people, "read this page, it
explains our
views, now stop shouting please".

I have one actual question: didn't anyone think about it making sense to
write up some
stuff about that before making an announcement on sites like slashdot?
:D <ducks/>

back to my corner,

- Leo

Re: [FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Just some fodder from watching the questions to the list:

1) Qn: I'd like to find out more and help etc. What do I do next?
   An: Monitor this mail list. A mail list for Geronimo is in the works
and a CVS repository. At some point these resources will come together and
the initial source code commit made. Until then, it's empty.

2) Qn: Can you mail me if you're interested in me helping.
   An: That's not how open source communities generally work. To the
people who have asked to be contacted if Apache are interested, it's
unlikely that this will happen with all the huge interest that this has
generated. Better to stay in touch with the mail list.

3) Qn: Will it involve JBoss code.
   An: It is unable to due to licensing reasons.

4) Qn: Will it <insert some technical phrase here>?
   An: As the initial codebase is apparantly there [ie) we're passed
design phase already], it's probably worth holding these questions off
until the codebase may be seen.

5) Qn: What are the rules for Geronimo?
   An: Standard Apache incubation I imagine. http://incubator.apache.org/

6) Qn: What's the website?
   An: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/geronimo.html

7) Qn: What tools do I need to learn?
   An: CVS. patch. Using a mail list.

Hen

Posted by "N. Alex Rupp" <no...@coredevelopers.net>.
Sounds like a good idea, Noel.  I'll do what I can : )
--
N. Alex Rupp (norm@coredevelopers.net)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Alex,

Why don't you start with the FAQ page off of the Wiki page I posted earlier?
:-)