Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@apache.org> on 2021/07/13 14:48:57 UTC

Re: Is Ambari can be choice for new user??

> Hi Matt Andruff
>
> Thanks for prompt reply, Please check inline response with blue color.
>
> BRB:: Looks like there are no active releases recently,any suggestions to
> new users to use Ambari ??
> Matt:: There's lots of active development.  You can make your own build
> any time.
> BRB:: Last release from the amabri community is on Dec,2019.. Since then
> there are no releases and no commits has been made. *https://github.com/apache/ambari/graphs/code-frequency
> <https://github.com/apache/ambari/graphs/code-frequency>.. Hence I am in
> that impression.Please do correct me if I am wrong.*
>
> I think you are incorrect there are merge requests and merges made all the
> time: https://github.com/apache/ambari/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed

If you have questions about development though you should post them to the
> developer thread not the user thread.  You might find that more helpful.

Forwarding the mail to devlist.

> BRB::A) Amb ari Can support the stacks with tarball ??
> Matt:: No but if you have a tarball you can build a repo of your choice.
> And it does work with repos.  There is lots of documentation about how to
> build repos on the internet.
> BRB:: Ok, I will try check the docuementation for this.. Let me know if
> you've direct links.
>
> BRB:: B) Any scalability issues are there?? How much it’s scalable??
> Matt:: Define scalable.  What metrics are you trying to hit?  Ambari helps
> deploy configuration, could you help describe your specific concern
> with scalability?
> BRB:: How scalable with number of nodes.. E.x. 3000 node cluster can be
> installed, with these nodes all the functionality can work normally (any
> latency delays)..?  Any monitroing or operatios can be delayed..? any
> pointers to this direction.

I haven't managed a 3000 node cluster. I'll let someone else reply.  Here's
> a tuning guide that contains recommendations for up to 1600 nodes
> <https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.6.2.0/bk_ambari-administration/content/ch_tuning_ambari_performance.html>.
> I am not saying that is the CAP, just what I could find with a quick google.

Thanks for the above link..Currently we are checking 3000 node cluster
installations.

> BRB:: C) Service level upgrade can be supported ??
> Matt:: I don't understand the question.  Do you mean can you purchase
> support?
> BRB:: I mean, when hive,hadoop,hbase are installed, can I upgrade only
> hive (dn't want to upgrade all the services)..?

Yes, you can upgrade.

Thanks. It will be a good option..It's recently developed..?

> BRB:: D) Any opensource distribution version can be supported?
> Matt:: It can be customized to manage the configuration of any open source
> project.  But it's open source, you need to bring your own developers to
> support your own projects.  There is out of the box support for the
> projects you requested.
> BRB:: Ok, thanks.. Will check.
>

> Matt::  E) Multiple clusters:  I'll let someone else speak to that the
> answer used to be no. (Here's an old post
> <https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Support-Questions/Multiple-clusters-on-Ambari/td-p/119809>on
> the subject)
> BRB:: Ok.Looks this support is not there..

Well that's an old post so maybe look at the feature set for the new
> version of Ambari(3.0) it may have it.

Where can I check Ambari-3.0 feature list..?

> Matt:: F) Scripts -> you need to better define what you want to do.  There
> are lots of things you can do with Alerts
> <https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-latest/managing-and-monitoring-ambari/content/amb_ambari_alerts.html> to
> have scripts run and report on hosts.  Your question isn't clear so I don't
> want to really answer without a better understanding of what you are
> wanting to accomplish.
>
> BRB:: let me make it clear.. I want to collect data from host/service
> with my own script....

Check out the link to Alerts I provided above. It sounds like it will give
> you what you're looking for.

Ok. thanks

> *And one more question, how security vulenriablities are addressed..?*

Again, probably a question for the developer mailing list.  I would review
> the merges to see how they are addressed.

Ok, marking dev list also.

 *one more question, currently any companies are using the ambari..? Looks
like HDP/CDH is not sponsoring now ,will that affect the community..?*

--

--Brahma Reddy Battula