Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "alan.gerhard" <al...@gercom.com> on 2003/03/01 05:22:48 UTC

PostmasterAlias Mailet

Is this mailet (PostmasterAlias) the only mailet that is
'silently inserted into the root' ?

Do we want ANY mailet 'silently inserted ...' that we cannot
control ??

What this does is to take ALL mail sent to
postmaster@domin.com and send it to the postmaster alias as
defined in the configuration.

Basically, for any James SMTP Server, all I need to do is to
send mail to POSTMASTER@JAMES_SERVER.COM and it will be
delivered - this is the FIRST mailet that gets processed ...

RE: PostmasterAlias Mailet

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Is this mailet (PostmasterAlias) the only mailet that is
> 'silently inserted into the root' ?

Every processor also has the equivalent of

  <mailet match="All" class="Null" />

inserted at the end.

What problem do you have with the PostmasterAlias mailet?

> Basically, for any James SMTP Server, all I need to do is to
> send mail to POSTMASTER@JAMES_SERVER.COM and it will be
> delivered - this is the FIRST mailet that gets processed.

PostmasterAlias translates postmaster@ to whatever the local postmaster
address is, but it does not perform delivery.  Mailet process continues
after the mapping.

HOWEVER, RFC 2821/4.5.1 requires delivery of postmaster mail.  For further
commentary, see also: http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-postmaster.php.

	--- Noel