Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Amit Kumar <am...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/13 13:23:47 UTC

Elapse Time = Response Time in .jtl file (generated in Non GUI Mode)?

Hi All,

Could you confirm if *elapse time = response time* in .jtl file generated
in Non GUI Mode?

--
Thanks and Regards,
Amit

Re: Elapse Time = Response Time in .jtl file (generated in Non GUI Mode)?

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
For an API call ? usually elapsed time , but it has an implicit for the
network under consideration.
For e.g. if your servers are hosted in USA and the client making the call
is also in the same network then you get one response time - but if the
clients could be in India there is a different  response time. Things like
these are very specific to your application and your requirements and what
you want your test to tell you.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20 May 2016 at 11:43, Flavio Cysne <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A long time ago I asked a similar question in this list. The answer I
> received was that Latency in JMeter is the time elapsed since the request
> sent and the first chunk (4kb) of the response is received.

It might be less than 4kb, depending on the OS and JVM etc.

> To overcome this issue I start a program inside a shell or prompt to get
> latency statistics during the test.
>
> The concept of Latency is the elapsed time since the last byte sent and the
> first byte received.

Agreed.

However JMeter only sees what the HTTP library returns, and that in
turn depends on the JVM and the OS.
If there is any buffering, then the first response to JMeter will be
later than the first response from the network.
Even the OS may not know when the first response occurs if there is
buffering in the network card.

Re: Elapse Time = Response Time in .jtl file (generated in Non GUI Mode)?

Posted by Amit Kumar <am...@gmail.com>.
Deepak S,

Posted by Amit Kumar <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Deepak G,