Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/10 15:51:00 UTC

Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Hi all,

Currently names used by Sling are prefixed with sling: with the
exception of well known parameters of the ujax servlets. To get all
these prefixes in line I suggest we change the prefix used by ujax
parameters to sling:

WDYT ?

Regards
Felix

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 27.03.2008, 15:35 +0100 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>> +1 to the proposed changes as well, and I'd suggest using "sling
>>> client library" as the name for what was ujax, for use in docs, etc.
>> Hmm, I think if we use this in the docs, the module name should reflect
>> this.
>
> But then we should split what is now known as the sling/ujax module ?
>
> The Sling Client Library is just a single file - ujax.js (or now
> sling.js). Of course we may create single module for that, but I am not
> sure, whether this is worth it.

Yepp, I share your feeling (that's why I said "if" :) ). I think we
should refer to the stuff what it is (atm): the post servlets.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... The Sling Client Library is just a single file - ujax.js (or now
>  sling.js). Of course we may create single module for that, but I am not
>  sure, whether this is worth it....

I agree that this doesn't require a distinct module - calling sling.js
the "sling client library" is fine.

-Bertrand

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
> so a 'special' parameter would for example be:
>
>       sling:postMoveSrc ?
> or  sling:post:MoveSrc ?
sling:post:MoveSrc

> this sounds weird, but ok for me :-)

Yepp, but it helps to avoid name clashes :)

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ... b) the SlingInfoServlet is currently mounted at /ujax. I didn't want to
>  change this to /sling as at this path the console is mounted. What do we
>  want to do here?...

/slinginfo maybe?

-Bertrand

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I've created SLING-347 and SLING-348 for removing the obsolete standard
servlets and renaming the servlets default to servlets get.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Am Dienstag, den 01.04.2008, 08:55 +0100 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ... Regarding the SlingInfoServlt: Shouldn't we move this away from the
> >  servlets-post ? It is not really a POST handler but rather a GET
> >  handler....
>
> right, good catch.
>
> > ... I suggest we move it to a new sling/info bundle ?? Or even a sling/mgt
> >  (management) bundle which could also be the basis for more management
> >  support stuff ?...
>
> If you're thinking about creating more management stuff soon, I'm ok
> with that. Otherwise it could go along with the standard GET servlets
> to avoid creating another module just for one servlet.

Done (SLING-346)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding the SlingInfoServlt: Shouldn't we move this away from the
> servlets-post ? It is not really a POST handler but rather a GET
> handler.
>
> I suggest we move it to a new sling/info bundle ?? Or even a sling/mgt
> (management) bundle which could also be the basis for more management
> support stuff ?

Yes, sounds good to me.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Good suggestions. I finished the renaming; hopefully everything is still
working...

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 31.03.2008, 12:07 +0200 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
>> Bertrand Delacretaz schrieb:
>>> Yes, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-326, but it needs to
>>> be updated according to this thread.
>>>
>>> -Bertrand
>>>
>> Ah thanks. I've updated the issue.
>>
>> So, we go for sling/servlets-post for the current ujax stuff and have
>> sling/servlets-default for the get stuff?
>
> Basically agree. But then as the servlets-default are GET servlets, why
> not also change servlets-default to servlets-get ?

Yepp, makes more sense to me.

> (And yes, the servlets-standard should really be dropped ;-) )
Is it safe to just remove them?

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Montag, den 31.03.2008, 12:22 +0200 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
> Felix Meschberger schrieb:
> > I agree 100%. Are you going to do this ? Otherwise, I could start doing
> > this this afternoon.
> >
> I would to it tomorrow :) So if you want to do it today... :)

Alright, I will let you do it tomorrow ;-)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Am Donnerstag, den 27.03.2008, 10:02 -0700 schrieb Tobias Bocanegra:
> >   * The Ujax* classes in the sling/ujax module are renamed to Sling*
> so your saying:
>
> o.a.s.ujax.impl.UjaxPostServlet -> o.a.s.servlets.post.SlingPostServlet
> o.a.s.ujax.impl.UjaxPostProcesser -> o.a.s.servlets.post.SlingPostProcessor
>
> could this not be moved to the org.apache.sling.servlets.defaults bundle?

Sounds reasonable, yes.

But then, what do we do with the client library ? We should probably
also move it. In fact, we may just merge the ujax module into the
servlets.default module.

OTOH by differentiating between read-access in the servlets.default and
write-access in the (current) ujax module we also simplify updates or
replacement of functionality. Not sure, whether this is enough to have
two modules.

Any more comments on this ?

>       sling:postMoveSrc ?
> or  sling:post:MoveSrc ?
>
> this sounds weird, but ok for me :-)

It may sound somewhat weird, but it makes sense: It is for sling - hence
sling: - it is for the post method - hence post: - and then comes the
command. It just one more level of namespacing.

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
>   * The Ujax* classes in the sling/ujax module are renamed to Sling*
so your saying:

o.a.s.ujax.impl.UjaxPostServlet -> o.a.s.servlets.post.SlingPostServlet
o.a.s.ujax.impl.UjaxPostProcesser -> o.a.s.servlets.post.SlingPostProcessor

could this not be moved to the org.apache.sling.servlets.defaults bundle?

>   * The request parameter prefix ujax: is replaced by sling:post:
>     (see below for reasonings)
>
>  Regarding the sling:post: prefix. This looks somewhat strange, correct.
>  The problem is, that we cannot just use "sling:" instead of ujax: as the
>  prefix because this prefix is also used for properties to be written
>  back. This would therefore lead to a collision in the parameter prefix
>  use. Of course I am open to using something else than sling:post: as
>  long as it makes sense and creates no collision which requires extensive
>  detection.
so a 'special' parameter would for example be:

      sling:postMoveSrc ?
or  sling:post:MoveSrc ?

this sounds weird, but ok for me :-)

regards,
--
Toby

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:28 AM, David Nuescheler <da...@day.com> wrote:

> ...i would basically
>  recommend to replace ujax with sling throughout the code, this
>  particularly includes the js side, and would graduate ujax into the
>  sling js library, which makes perfect sense to me....

Agreed, makes sense.

-Bertrand

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
>  i think it is confusing to deal with all those technologies for a newbie.
>  everything from jackrabbit to sling to jcr to osgi to launchpad to ujax.
>  some of this complexity is not necessary and can be removed easily.
>  i think the ujax / sling distinction can definitely go. i would basically
>  recommend to replace ujax with sling throughout the code, this
>  particularly includes the js side, and would graduate ujax into the
>  sling js library, which makes perfect sense to me.
>
>  regarding r-u-microjax, and related acronyms, this was more making fun of
>  bad acronyms than anything else and i always hoped that someone
>  would come along with a better name, so i am more than happy to
>  just call it "sling".
+1 ok for me

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:

> ... Ah, this is the right time to throw in my "catapult" naming idea :)
>  (Some day someone will pick it up, I'm 100% sure...)...

Sure. some day ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: Replace ujax: prefix to sling:

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.