Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Piotr Nowojski <pn...@apache.org> on 2021/06/09 17:24:23 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-171: Async Sink

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for writing down the proposal. Back when the new Sink API was being
discussed, I was proposing to add our usual `CompletableFuture<Void>
isAvailable()` pattern to make sinks non-blocking. You can see the
discussion starting here [1], and continuing for a couple of more posts
until here [2]. Back then, the outcome was that it would give very little
benefit, at the expense of making the API more complicated. Could you maybe
relate your proposal to that discussion from last year?

I see that your proposal is going much further than just adding the
availability method, could you also motivate this a bit further? Could you
maybe reference/show some sinks that:
1. are already implemented using FLIP-143
2. that have some code duplication...
3. ...this duplication would be solved by FLIP-171

Best,
Piotrek

[1]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-FLIP-143-Unified-Sink-API-tp44602p44872.html