Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim K <ti...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/04 13:23:40 UTC

Re: 9.0.13 encrypted cluster traffic

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018, 11:56 AM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net wrote:

> Tim,
>
> On 12/21/18 08:14, Tim K wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 20, 2018, 10:11 PM Christopher Schultz <
> > chris@christopherschultz.net wrote:
> >
> > Tim,

> > This is the only thing that matters to the encryption interceptor:

> erc
> >

> eptor"
> >>>>

> > encryptionKey="e0f2cdf931e99fdce0453964294f97f3" />
> >
> > I'm not sure if the order of encrypt/asyncdispatch interceptors
> > matters much.
> >
> > I copy/pasted your key into the TestEncryptInterceptor unit test
> > and I didn't get any errors. I generated 4 new 32-character
> > (16-byte) keys and tried all of them and didn't get any errors.
> >
> > Oddly, the very first time I copy/pasted it from your email
> > message into the tester it failed with BadPaddingException, but
> > when I re-copied "just in case" it stopped failing. Can you
> > download and build the 9.0.14 source and run that unit test in your
> > environment? Like this:
> >
> > $ ant test
> > -Dtest.entry=org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestEncrypt
> In
> >

> terceptor
> >
> > If that works, try copy/pasting your key into the source file of
> > the test -- it's right up at the top, called "encryptionKey128" --
> > then save and re-run the test (ant will recompile it). If that
> > works... then I'm stumped.
> >
> > -chris

> > I grabbed the src from the site and built it successfully, tried
> > the test but it is looking for a message.bin file...
>
> If the file doesn't exist, it skips the test. That's normal.
>
> > I tried just touch'ing that file and the first test fails with a
> > NegativeArraySizeException
>
> Right... because it should contain an encrypted message. A zero-byte
> file won't be decrypted properly.
>
> (BTW this explains why I got a BadPaddingException in that *single*
> test... I forgot that the test decrypts the file left-behind from the
> previous test. This was intentional, to ensure that there wasn't some
> magical state being held within the JVM allowing it to decrypt the
> message.)
>
> > and it deletes the message.bin file and the subsequent 2 tests
> > can't find it.  Is there something special I need to do with that
> > message.bin file to run the junit tests?
> No. The tests are running as expected.
>
> > Also, I tried just using the exact encryptionKey128 you had within
> > the test class and that one didn't work in my config either, same
> > BadPaddingException.
>
> Try running the test twice in a row. From your output, it looks like
> the test runs fine.
>
> Oh, you meant using my cafebabe key in your setup didn't work? Please
> see Keiichi's reply: it seems that the EncryptInterceptor must be
> "outside" of the TcpFailureDetector.
>
> - -chris

Moving the encryption interceptor to the first position appears to have
resolved this for me.  Thank you all for the assistance!

Re: 9.0.13 encrypted cluster traffic

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Tim,

On 1/4/19 08:23, Tim K wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018, 11:56 AM Christopher Schultz <
> chris@christopherschultz.net wrote:
>
> Tim,

Int

erc

> eptor"

In

> terceptor

> If the file doesn't exist, it skips the test. That's normal.

> Right... because it should contain an encrypted message. A
> zero-byte file won't be decrypted properly.
>
> (BTW this explains why I got a BadPaddingException in that
> *single* test... I forgot that the test decrypts the file
> left-behind from the previous test. This was intentional, to ensure
> that there wasn't some magical state being held within the JVM
> allowing it to decrypt the message.)

> No. The tests are running as expected.

> Try running the test twice in a row. From your output, it looks
> like the test runs fine.
>
> Oh, you meant using my cafebabe key in your setup didn't work?
> Please see Keiichi's reply: it seems that the EncryptInterceptor
> must be "outside" of the TcpFailureDetector.
>
> -chris

> Moving the encryption interceptor to the first position appears to
> have resolved this for me.  Thank you all for the assistance!

Excellent. Thanks for the confirmation.

I was thinking about this the other day and it seems like such an easy
mistake to make with such a bad outcome it would be best to detect the
situation and throw a warning/error. I think that should be possible.

- -chris