Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nico Prenzel <ni...@pn-systeme.de> on 2007/07/26 15:16:20 UTC

Negative impact with Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary?

Hello all,

what I need to know about SpamAssassin is:
Does SpamAssassin score the Content-Transfer-Encoding type "binary"
differently as other types?
I've got the problem that I don't get anything other than
Lotus Domino interface to spamd.

Of course, the original smtp stream of the incoming mails arrive with
different content-transfer-encodings (as BASE64). But Lotus Domino
internally formats it to binary format before I can capture it with any
API!

So, would it be a problem to transfer all file attachments formated as

Greeting.

NicoP.

Antwort: Re: Negative impact with Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary?

Posted by Nico Prenzel <ni...@pn-systeme.de>.
Thanks for your answer Matus,

>In such case you should do the filtering before mail reaches domino
server.
>That will require machine between lotus and world, where you can store
>copies of all (suspicious) mail to some folder on the, and feed them to
>spamassassin from there. However in such case you need to look at that
>folder once in a time...

but this is not my intended mail flow!
The last three years I've developed an SpamAssassin integration for Domino,
named DomSpamC/DSCLearner. (See here for more informations:
http://prenzel.dyndns.org/Anwendungen/Internet/Bulletin/DominoBulletin.nsf/WebBoardIndex?ReadForm
 )
In past spam mails mostly arrived without attachments. As we all know,
changed this a lot. So, I wanted to enhance my own program to transmit also
the attachments of mails to spamd. Now I've discovered that I don't get the
original SMTP stream out of Lotus Domino.

Pherhaps I'll format the attachments back to original MIME format a) if I
find out the original format and b) if SpamAssassin claims about the binary
encoding.
Of course, I know that changing the original MIME format of an email
changes the possibility for spamd to hit tests on it. But how big will be
that design flaw?

Greeting.

NicoP.

Thema: Re: Negative impact with Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary?

On 26.07.07 15:16, Nico Prenzel wrote:
> what I need to know about SpamAssassin is:
> Does SpamAssassin score the Content-Transfer-Encoding type "binary"
> differently as other types?

I don't think so.

> I've got the problem that I don't get anything other than
> Lotus Domino interface to spamd.
>
> Of course, the original smtp stream of the incoming mails arrive with
> different content-transfer-encodings (as BASE64). But Lotus Domino
> internally formats it to binary format before I can capture it with any
> API!

In such case you should do the filtering before mail reaches domino server.
That will require machine between lotus and world, where you can store
copies of all (suspicious) mail to some folder on the, and feed them to
spamassassin from there. However in such case you need to look at that
folder once in a time...

> So, would it be a problem to transfer all file attachments formated as

If you run spamassassin on a mail fetched from domino, you can train it on
mail fetched from domino. But I think that some important informacions may
be lost by the conversion domino does, so I'd be careful.

One OS to bring them all and into darkness bind them

Re: Negative impact with Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 26.07.07 15:16, Nico Prenzel wrote:
> what I need to know about SpamAssassin is:
> Does SpamAssassin score the Content-Transfer-Encoding type "binary"
> differently as other types?

I don't think so.