Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Marco Huber <mh...@project-team.de> on 2008/10/24 10:24:11 UTC

Why does Maven broke if it cannot download a SNAPSHOT?

Hi all,

I have a little problem with Maven, if I work at home.
In our company, we have different project in a SNAPSHOT state, which I
have to use in the project I'm currently working.

If I work at home I copy normally my local-repo from the company an
updated my local-repo at home. We have a inner company repository which
I cannot connect from home.

If I now run mvn clean install Maven tells me that it cannot find the
artifact com.myCompany:myArtifact

"
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) com.myCompany:myArtifact:jar:0.6.0-SNAPSHOT

   Then, install it using the command:
       mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.myCompany
-DartifactId=myArtifact -Dversion=0.6.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/path/to/file

   Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the
file there:
       mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=com.myCompany
-DartifactId=myArtifact -Dversion=0.6.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -Drepositor
yId=[id]

   Path to dependency:
         1) com.myCompany:myOtherArtifact:jar:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
         2) com.myCompany:myArtifact:jar:0.6.0-SNAPSHOT

----------
1 required artifact is missing.
"

If I install the dependent artifact locally Maven is happy, or if I
remove all xml file from this artifact in my local repo.

So my question: Why does Maven broke if it cannot download a SNAPSHOT?
Should it not use the latest from the local repository?

Thank you for your answers
Marco

Re: Why does Maven broke if it cannot download a SNAPSHOT?

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.
All your dependencies work now, because snapshot has a standard
updatePolicy of daily. You can start playing with this today. :)

Possible settings:
updatePolicy   	 The frequency for downloading updates - can be
"always", "daily" (default), "interval:XXX" (in minutes) or "never"
(only if it doesn't exist locally).

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk
~Java Developer~