Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by patrick wyss <pw...@ergonomics.ch> on 2008/01/11 15:57:54 UTC

$log$ keyword expansion with hook-scripts?

hi,

i wonder if anybody has implemented the $log$ keyword expansion as a
hook-script.
i think it should be fairly easy to implement it the way it worked in CVS

(if you know perl or python which i both dont, hook-scripts in java do not
seem to be a good idea...)

btw: yes, i read
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#log-in-source
but i'm one of the "I don't care about that. I want to use it
anyway."-guys...

best regards
patrick

RE: Re: $log$ keyword expansion with hook-scripts?

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

Crikey.  Shows how often I work offline.

Plan B:  "svn log repos/.../root_of_workspace > history.log" and a
script to make searching the log file easy.

Any chance of a post-update client side hook?  =P

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA625

Re: $log$ keyword expansion with hook-scripts?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

http://svk.bestpractical.com/

> Or for customer types, include a change log file.  An organized,
> edited,
> accurate change log which only includes useful information is a
> heck of
> a lot better than rummaging around in log entries created by
> developers
> (some of whom somehow managed to write in Sanskrit using ASCII.)

+1.

> As for switching tools, it's not that difficult to copy the $URL$ from
> the log file and paste it to 'svn log ...'  Plus on Windows, alt-
> tab is
> your Friend.  Software that lets you have multiple desktops should
> also
> have hotkeys.

Presumably you meant "copy the $URL$ from the output of 'svn info'"
or some such.

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA621

Re: $log$ keyword expansion with hook-scripts?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 14, 2008, at 09:17, patrick wyss wrote:

> John Peacock wrote:
>
>> patrick wyss wrote:
>>
>>> i wonder if anybody has implemented the $log$ keyword expansion as a
>>> hook-script.
>>> i think it should be fairly easy to implement it the way it
>>> worked in CVS
>>
>> It's not.  There is no multiline keyword support in Subversion, so
>> unless you want the $log$ to be one big line, you are out of luck.
>
> but wouldn't it be possible to have some perl/python/whatsoever pre-
> commit
> script which does add current comment after the first $log$.
>
> or even better delete the whole log and fill in the output of "svn
> log"
>
> would this realy be tricky to implement?

I think you should not pursue this any further. The Subversion
developers have already explained that this feature does not exist,
that there will be no plans to add this feature, and that this
feature is a bad idea. See the FAQ:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#log-in-source

>>> btw: yes, i read
>>> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#log-in-source
>>> but i'm one of the "I don't care about that. I want to use it
>>> anyway."-guys...
>>
>> Sorry.  You may want to consider changing your process to include
>> more
>> useful comments in the source code or just have a post-commit script
>> which updates a code-management tool like Trac (not that I
>> particularly
>> like Trac)...
>
> the thing i like about having the log in the sources is that you
> quickly see
> the files history without having to switch between tools. maybe
> someone's
> working offfline (in an airplane...) etc.

If you want to support such offline development, investigate using
svk instead of svn on the client side. svk gets a complete copy of
the repository onto the client machine, so not only can you access
the log, you can also commit changes locally while you're offline,
then later, when you're online again, bring those changes into the
main repository. See:

http://svk.bestpractical.com/

> another idea i had is that maybe we'll include some XML for
> gnerating the
> project dokumentation into subversion. it would be perfect if you
> could
> automatically have the revision history in the printed dokument...

Your build script can use the "svn log" command to get the revision
history when needed. But, again, as per the concerns raised in the
FAQ above, what log will you use? The log of the trunk? The log of a
branch? The log of the trunk and all branches and all tags?

Re: $log$ keyword expansion with hook-scripts?

Posted by patrick wyss <pw...@ergonomics.ch>.
sorry for the late response, somehow i missed the nabble notification...

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
patrick wyss wrote:
> hi,
>
> i wonder if anybody has implemented the $log$ keyword expansion as a
> hook-script.
> i think it should be fairly easy to implement it the way it worked in CVS

It's not.  There is no multiline keyword support in Subversion, so
unless you want the $log$ to be one big line, you are out of luck.

> btw: yes, i read
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#log-in-source
> but i'm one of the "I don't care about that. I want to use it
> anyway."-guys...

Sorry.  You may want to consider changing your process to include more
useful comments in the source code or just have a post-commit script
which updates a code-management tool like Trac (not that I particularly
like Trac)...

John