Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fabian Brauers <fa...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/07 20:27:48 UTC

Change welcome page

Hi,

is there an easy way to configure Tomcat (5.0.27) in order to change the
default welcome page (http://localhost:8080)?
I'm using Business Objects with Tomcat and I always have to use a long URL
like 'http://localhost:8080/businessobjects/enterprise115/desktoplaunch'
to see the application that I want to see. I'm trying for two days now and
wasn't able to configure it...

Any hints??

thanks a lot!!

Fabian

Re[2]: Change welcome page

Posted by Dima Retov <di...@axisway.com>.
It is better to add index.jsp that would redirect to business objects.
You would not have to move business objects.

index.jsp

<%

response.sendRedirect("http://localhost:8080/businessobjects/enterprise115/desktoplaunch");

%>

>> From: Fabian Brauers [mailto:fabian.brauers@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: Change welcome page
>>
>> What do I have to change in order to see the
>> BusinessObjects application when I use http://localhost:8080  ?

CCR> You have to replace the existing ROOT app with your own.  Delete the
CCR> existing webapps/ROOT directory, and then rename your .war or deployment
CCR> directory to ROOT - assuming it's under webapps.

CCR>  - Chuck

CCR> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY
CCR> MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you
CCR> received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail
CCR> and its attachments from all computers.

Best regards,
 Dima                            mailto:dima@axisway.com

Re: Is Tomcat a good solution for me?

Posted by Timothy Collett <da...@mac.com>.
On Nov 7, 2006, at 4:47 PM, Gary Kuznitz wrote:
> Any and all suggestions are welcome.  If I haven't given enough
> information to
> advise me please let me know.

I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly...but Tomcat cannot
serve ASPs.  It serves JSPs and servlets.

If I've misunderstood, and you're intending to migrate from ASPs to
JSPs/servlets, then I apologize.

Timothy Collett

--

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,

RE: Is Tomcat a good solution for me?

Posted by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de>.
Hi

> I currently have PWS running in '98se with ASP pages.
> I don't expect to expand the web pages.

These two sentences make me think the following:
PWS is basically nothing different than IIS, but compiled for Windows 98.
As Windows XP comes with IIS this is propably the best chiose for you.

There you have asp and you can use the components already do.

Regards,
  Steffen

RE: Is Tomcat a good solution for me?

Posted by Robert Harper <ro...@iat-cti.com>.
If your content is static pages, the Apache might be a better option. If you
are using Java Servlets for dynamic content, then Tomcat would work fine.
You may have to adjust some of your code to match changes in the runtimes.
If you are using ASP, I don't think Tomcat is for you.

You should be able to run PWS and Tomcat at the same time on different
ports.

Remember that Tomcat is a Java centric servlet container. It can serve up
static content but is primarily suited to run and control your Java
Servlets.

Robert S. Harper
Information Access Technology, Inc.
Posted by Gary Kuznitz <do...@theoffice.la>.
Hi,

I'd like some help in figuring out if Tomcat is right for me.  I currently have
PWS running in '98se with ASP pages.  I have very little traffic.  I'd like to

RE: Change welcome page

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Change welcome page

Posted by Fabian Brauers <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

and then? What do I have to change in order to see the BusinessObjects
application when I use http://localhost:8080  ?
I guess I have to put another line in the ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml....
right?

Fabian

Re: Change welcome page

Posted by Timothy Collett <da...@mac.com>.

RE: Change welcome page

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: David Delbecq [mailto:delbd@oma.be]
> Subject: Re: Change welcome page
>
> Just put an index.jsp in webapp/ROOT/ that does a redirect to
> correct url

That's not quite sufficient, since the default ROOT app has a
precompiled index.jsp, and that one along with its servlet mapping must
be removed before a replacement is effective.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Change welcome page

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.